AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started hanging my ceiling drywall and I had a box of #6 fine thread 1 1/4 inch drywall screws. They seemed to work ok but I stripped out the channel on a few so I wanted to see if that was the right solution before I go too far. Out of my searches it sounds like I should be using #8 screws but I cannot seem to find a #8 fine thread 1 1/4 inch screw. I can find #6 and I can find #8 coarse thread. Which way would be best or does anyone have a link or store. Locally we have lowes, menards, home depot etc. Thank, Mike

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,562 Posts
I've had really good luck with the fine thread Grabber brand drywall screws intended for metal furring. You can check their website for vendors. I grab 5 lb boxes at a local drywall building supplier for $15 box. When I looked at HD the Griptight brand was $29.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstrunk /forum/post/20851429

I can find #6 and I can find #8 coarse thread. Which way would be best...

You need to use type S (fine thread) for the hat channel. If you are concerned about strength, use more. If the screws are stripping out you are either using too much torque or the screw is bottoming out against something hard.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,562 Posts
Another item when using fine threaded screws to secure to metal channel is to make sure the drywall is pressed against the channel and apply sufficient pressure on your screw gun, going slower at the end works better than zipping them in.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
All good advice. I would also use #8s. Fine thread drywall screws.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone that you do not want to use drywall screws to attach the clips to the joists. That connection requires a heavier screw like a deck or wood screw.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some more hanging last night. Everything in the middle of the sheet went fine and I found I did need to hold the drywall tight against the channel and then supply just the right amount of pressure to the screw. I think my problem before was just with the tapered edges. When putting a screw there I probably was not driving in strong enough and instead of creating a dimple it would just stop and strip out the channel.

I agree the star pattern deck screws worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.