AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
If you bought them, they will still be in your downloads. Sign into the PS Store on your new PS3, with your old account name, and download away. However, if you already downloaded them 5 times, you are out of luck.

· Banned
9,953 Posts
Yes, unfortunately HDD data already on the drive is in a proprietary format that can only be accessed from that PS3. So you're out of luck for any game saves that were not copy protected. Video or music you put on.

Just be sure to backup that stuff in the future.

As for purchased stuff, as said above, just check out the transaction list in the PSN store. Free stuff you'll have to search for separately, but by name\\abc works best. And as for the 5 download, if you can give Sony a good excuse, they'll waiver it a few times. As long as you don't abuse it is my guess.

· Registered
387 Posts
On a related note, when you're backing up all of your game save data, is it really true that you can't "Select all" and copy all of them at once? I don't backup nearly often enough, but from my experience I had to go through each game and select/copy them individually, one-at-a-time.

· Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl /forum/post/16853367

On a related note, when you're backing up all of your game save data, is it really true that you can't "Select all" and copy all of them at once? I don't backup nearly often enough, but from my experience I had to go through each game and select/copy them individually, one-at-a-time.

Yup. If you back them up separately, then you have to do them one-by-one. However, if you do an entire back-up of your internal hdd, using the PS3's back-up feature, all your saves will be there.

· Registered
387 Posts
But if you do the entire backup, will it also backup all of the media you have on your HDD, or can you speed things up by just backing up the vital data?

· Registered
702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl /forum/post/16853673

But if you do the entire backup, will it also backup all of the media you have on your HDD, or can you speed things up by just backing up the vital data?

It's all or nothing with the backup utility. Some people stream or have an external HDD that store the music, movies and photos. That way the only content on the PS3 would be the downloaded games, game saves and game data. That can save a bit of time.

Also note, some game save data is locked specifically to that PS3's ID. If you get a new or replacement PS3 some - even if you've done the full back up, those locked games saves may not actually restore on the new PS3 with the restore utility.

· Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdoc /forum/post/16852608

However, if you already downloaded them 5 times, you are out of luck.

That's not quite accurate. You can download the content as many times as you like. However, you can only download it on 5 different, "activated", PS3s at time. For example, lets say you sign into your PSN account on PS3 1 and download title A, and then sign into your account on PS3 2 and download title A, delete it accidentaly, and download it again. Title A only has 2 of the allowed downloads against it (leaving 3). Now, lets say you go back to PS3 1, and deactivate your PSN account on it. Title A now only has 1 of the allowed downloads against it. There are a few exceptions, like Warhawk, but for the most part that's how it works. And yes, after deactivating your account on PS3 1, the downloaded titles (your downloaded titles) will no longer work.

· Registered
1,365 Posts
How about JUST game saves? I will be getting my YLOD back this week.

I'm not worried about getting my psn games (I'm just assuming I'll have to re-DL them), but is it possible to access the save files from the HDD (a 320gb in my case) via USB from the new(refurb) PS3?

· Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/16855912

How about JUST game saves? I will be getting my YLOD back this week.

I'm not worried about getting my psn games (I'm just assuming I'll have to re-DL them), but is it possible to access the save files from the HDD (a 320gb in my case) via USB from the new(refurb) PS3?

If you did a full back-up, then they'll show up upon restore (sans protected saves). If you backed them up one-by-one, then you'll restore them one-by-one sans protected saves.

· Registered
1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/16855934

If you did a full back-up, then they'll show up upon restore (sans protected saves). If you backed them up one-by-one, then you'll restore them one-by-one sans protected saves.

I have an older backup from 6 months ago or so. What I'm curious about is whether I can see and copy save files from my 320gb HDD onto the fresh 60gb HDD they send back to me.

Then, when I reinstall the 320gb, and the PS3 wipes it (why they can't figure out a way to re-authorize a HDD for a new SN# on a refurb I don't know), I'll have my most recent save files.

· Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen /forum/post/16855954

What I'm curious about is whether I can see and copy save files from my 320gb HDD onto the fresh 60gb HDD they send back to me.

Unfortunately, no you can't. If you stick the 320GB HDD into an external USB enclosure, your PS3 will not recognise it because it will not be in the FAT32 format. The PS3 appears to use a proprietary file system internally.

· Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/16856076

Unfortunately, no you can't. If you stick the 320GB HDD into an external USB enclosure, your PS3 will not recognise it because it will not be in the FAT32 format. The PS3 appears to use a proprietary file system internally.

Hmm Interesting, but what if the 320GB was from a previous PS3 system and connected to a usb external enclosure, which it is obviouly FAT32 format, will the new PS3 recognise it?

· Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 /forum/post/16856604

Hmm Interesting, but what if the 320GB was from a previous PS3 system and connected to a usb external enclosure, which it is obviouly FAT32 format, will the new PS3 recognise it?

The PS3's internal file system is SPUFS, not FAT32. When you put a new HDD into your PS3, it is automatically formatted to SPUFS. However, as most people know, the PS3 will only recognise FAT32 external drives. I know it sounds odd, but it's true.

· Registered
2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/16857443

The PS3's internal file system is SPUFS, not FAT32. When you put a new HDD into your PS3, it is automatically formatted to SPUFS. However, as most people know, the PS3 will only recognise FAT32 external drives. I know it sounds odd, but it's true.

ah ok! thanks for clearing that up.

· Registered
529 Posts
I also got a ylod a couple of weeks ago on my 1st gen PS3 60GB and I didn't do a full backup either. I just have a month old SD card backup of some games. I really hated the idea of loosing that much game progress.

I sent mine to Knights Gaming Repair and they fixed the actual issue (RSX related). There was also a game disc in the there I could not eject that I'll get back for sure as well. They turned it around within a few days of getting it. I should be getting it back this week. I expect to plug it in and resume playing "Dead Space" right where I left off.

However, the first thing I'll do is a full backup.

· Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. /forum/post/16861816

I also got a ylod a couple of weeks ago on my 1st gen PS3 60GB and I didn't do a full backup either. I just have a month old SD card backup of some games. I really hated the idea of loosing that much game progress.

I sent mine to Knights Gaming Repair and they fixed the actual issue (RSX related). There was also a game disc in the there I could not eject that I'll get back for sure as well. They turned it around within a few days of getting it. I should be getting it back this week. I expect to plug it in and resume playing "Dead Space" right where I left off.

However, the first thing I'll do is a full backup.

Those guys are pretty close to my town, they have a pretty awesome setup in their shop for fixing both the consoles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.