AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Then why the hell are they supporting Blu-ray? Why can't they do both? If they did support HD-DVD I would have had a player already but I gotta think of the movies for the kids.....Is there any news if they will ever support both formats?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr /forum/post/0

Then why the hell are they supporting Blu-ray? Why can't they do both? If they did support HD-DVD I would have had a player already but I gotta think of the movies for the kids.....Is there any news if they will ever support both formats?

Go grab yourself a player. Last I checked, Disney will be releasing their movies on DVD for quite some time and I'm sure they'll still look amazing when being upconverted.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:

Disney contributed to the development of HDi, HD DVD's method of implementing advanced / interactive special features.

Though it was never officially stated / published by Disney, some of the main purported reasons for them ultimately choosing Blu-ray were...:

- Region Coding - Though, most of the Disney BDs I own are all-region. The one exception appears to be The Brother's Grimm, which says Region A only.

- Bandwidth - It was purported that Disney viewed BD's higher max bandwidth as a signficant advantage for handling multiple audio tracks.

- General Industry Support - It seems this is probably the biggest one. Disney appears to think highly of the fact that BD has more exclusive studio & CE support, and have thus joined the band-wagon.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA5 /forum/post/0

Sony has a large stake in Pixar, and through that a decent hammer on disney. strongarming.

Um...Sony has absolutely zero stake in Pixar. What are you talking about? Disney owns Pixar through and through, and Sony has nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

Quote:

Disney did alot for HD and still does but in the end made a decision in an attempt to try to end the war quicker decided to go with the format that had the most backing which seemed to be the blu-cartel at the time. To them which ever side wins was fine as long as one gets put to death soon.

As you can see but the recent public announcements that the fact HD DVD is doing so well is getting under there skin. And although they would still prefer the side that they backed to win you can tell they are upset and notice how well studios like Warner are doing backing both formats.

I think a few major assaults will be made by BR this half of the year to try to push forward but if HD still stands past that point then I think the studios will then at least consider that both formats will be staying around for awhile.

Loving my HD player I additionally bought into BR for Fox and Disney promised titles. Well ya can see how well Fox has been supporting Blu-ray right....

And unless Disney has a whole line up of surprise titles I'm not at all happy that this is there schedule for the summer

Summer Release Schedule

12-Jun-07 Primeval

19-Jun-07 Bridge to Terebithia

31-Jul-07 IMAX: Roving Mars

14-Aug-07 Lookout, The

14-Aug-07 Wild Hogs

20-Nov-07 The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/0

And unless Disney has a whole line up of surprise titles I'm not at all happy that this is there schedule for the summer

Summer Release Schedule

12-Jun-07 Primeval

14-Aug-07 Lookout, The

14-Aug-07 Wild Hogs

Well, through the end of the year, there are quite a few titles that have not been announced. Basically anything that is a new release is going to be day and date, plus quite a few other catalog that haven't been mentioned. Summer is going to be rather light though...though July should bring a few catalog releases (unless they change their mind). September will see a big uptick in titles though from Disney.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:

To them which ever side wins was fine as long as one gets put to death soon.

Honestly, it just sounds like you are making stuff up. Where did you get that?

--Darin

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

Honestly, it just sounds like you are making stuff up. Where did you get that?

--Darin

It's what he thinks Disney is thinking. No point in asking where he got it, because I know that's not what's actually going on. Disney would not be pleased if BD lost, simply because that's where they've positioned themselves and their future plans.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowhite /forum/post/0

It's what he thinks Disney is thinking. No point in asking where he got it, because I know that's not what's actually going on. Disney would not be pleased if BD lost, simply because that's where they've positioned themselves and their future plans.

Not through and through, most "higher ups" have never rubber stamped Disney as BD (Yes I have seen the color page article with Lassiters face talking about BD) But most times they speak of "HIGH DEFINITION FORMAT/DISCS").

Have you seen the photos of Sam Club and their GRAND HD DVD displays.

Here is a promise... If Wal-Mart/Sam Club backs HD DVD so will Disney. Disney accounts for almost have of the DVD Disney sales, Wal-Mart says jump Disney WILL say how high, never bite the hand that feeds, is ALWAYS a good company motto.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:

Um...Sony has absolutely zero stake in Pixar. What are you talking about? Disney owns Pixar through and through, and Sony has nothing to do with that.

Lucas still owns a piece of Pixar, unless he's let it go in the last couple years

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPu /forum/post/0

Lucas still owns a piece of Pixar, unless he's let it go in the last couple years

I am pretty sure when PIXAR became the thing that we know of it today it was after Lucas got rid of his part of the company. Pixar was (if I am not mistaken) started at ILM as a part of that division... They did the work on the stained glass effects coming to life in Young Sherlock Holmes... I believe... Just some trivia.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:

Disney did alot for HD and still does but in the end made a decision in an attempt to try to end the war quicker decided to go with the format that had the most backing which seemed to be the blu-cartel at the time. To them which ever side wins was fine as long as one gets put to death soon.

As you can see but the recent public announcements that the fact HD DVD is doing so well is getting under there skin. And although they would still prefer the side that they backed to win you can tell they are upset and notice how well studios like Warner are doing backing both formats.

I think a few major assaults will be made by BR this half of the year to try to push forward but if HD still stands past that point then I think the studios will then at least consider that both formats will be staying around for awhile.

Loving my HD player I additionally bought into BR for Fox and Disney promised titles. Well ya can see how well Fox has been supporting Blu-ray right....

Summer Release Schedule

12-Jun-07 Primeval

14-Aug-07 Lookout, The

14-Aug-07 Wild Hogs

Yep, that's a poor release schedule indeed coupled with the muted Fox. While some of this can be explained on the summer season and retooling for the xmas holiday season, there is a certain reticence now in their support.

On the HD DVD side though the reality is that the hardware base needs to increase 500% to have an impact on further moves to neutrality. And while Tosh's price promo is great when it lasts, the reality is that they can't wait for cheap chinese players, the A2 must sell consistently in the sub $200 range and lower. The vulnerability of course is the only weapon which Sony has - the PS3. If sales double during the holiday season then that 20% of 1.5 million becomes 20% of 3 million and the graph begins to make HD DVD look like it's getting a smaller and smaller piece of the pie and potentially becoming THE niche market - something like D-VHS on steroids but not enough for studios to be concerned about and certainly not Disney.

To the OP sorry for that sidetrack but just picked up on the prior post.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13 /forum/post/0

I am pretty sure when PIXAR became the thing that we know of it today it was after Lucas got rid of his part of the company. Pixar was (if I am not mistaken) started at ILM as a part of that division... They did the work on the stained glass effects coming to life in Young Sherlock Holmes... I believe... Just some trivia.

This is true. Pixar is owned, 100%, by Disney. Lucas stopped being part of Pixar a long time ago. Disney didn't pay 7.4 billion for Pixar to own just a percentage of it. They own it through and through.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

Yep, that's a poor release schedule indeed coupled with the muted Fox. While some of this can be explained on the summer season and retooling for the xmas holiday season, there is a certain reticence now in their support.

On the HD DVD side though the reality is that the hardware base needs to increase 500% to have an impact on further moves to neutrality. And while Tosh's price promo is great when it lasts, the reality is that they can't wait for cheap chinese players, the A2 must sell consistently in the sub $200 range and lower. The vulnerability of course is the only weapon which Sony has - the PS3. If sales double during the holiday season then that 20% of 1.5 million becomes 20% of 3 million and the graph begins to make HD DVD look like it's getting a smaller and smaller piece of the pie and potentially becoming THE niche market - something like D-VHS on steroids but not enough for studios to be concerned about and certainly not Disney.

To the OP sorry for that sidetrack but just picked up on the prior post.

I thought summer season is suppossed to be big for movie releases not a time to for a slow down. I for sure want movies more then just at xmas time...

And yes I would agree thats one of HDs biggest disadvantage is hardware sales but it is growing and hopefully it will retain its consitent large attachment rates.

I think a 500% increase may be to drastic though. With previous announcements of near identical sales of titles between formats despite the large hardware differences Blu-ray obviously has over HD DVD, I think (if it stayed a consitent ratio) a 500% increase to HDs hardware would be overkill.

The HD DVD promotion was $100 off MSRP. I definetly agree it was a great sale but the reality is the player could have been purchased for within $50 of the current $300 list price from some places previous to this promotion.

I think the promotion will show that continued price reductions will play an important role this year.

I dont know how many PS3's may sell this coming holiday season but I would think HD may find it easier to come down $100 in price compared to what Sony may need to drop in price in order to double there sales of the first year during the upcoming holiday season.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:

This is true. Pixar is owned, 100%, by Disney. Lucas stopped being part of Pixar a long time ago. Disney didn't pay 7.4 billion for Pixar to own just a percentage of it. They own it through and through.

Lucas still owned a piece of Pixar back in 2001 when Monsters Inc. was released. That's why the Episode II teaser was attached to all prints of the movie. Both Fox and Disney were upset about it at the time.

Maybe in the 6 years since Lucas has divested himself of Pixar completely, but he did have some considerable pull with them not all that long ago.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJean /forum/post/0

Go grab yourself a player. Last I checked, Disney will be releasing their movies on DVD for quite some time and I'm sure they'll still look amazing when being upconverted.

I have too agree. The Pixar DVDs look HD-ish on my 65" RPCRT at 1080i when my nieces and family come over for a visit.

The only draw back to to this type of footage is when the whole image is fully in focused and in high motion the image becomes blotchy and DVD's MPEG2 Bit-Rate can't keep up. I seen this in one of the scenes in Robots just a couple days ago. If proper motion blur was added to the scene it would of looked perfect, bad editing I guess.

...Angelo

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Actually, George still had an interest in Pixar right up until the Disney sale....that may have been converted to Disney stock, I dunno.

E

·
Banned
3,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPu /forum/post/0

Lucas still owned a piece of Pixar back in 2001 when Monsters Inc. was released. That's why the Episode II teaser was attached to all prints of the movie. Both Fox and Disney were upset about it at the time.

Maybe in the 6 years since Lucas has divested himself of Pixar completely, but he did have some considerable pull with them not all that long ago.

Why would Fox be upset about getting their trailers attached to a big hit pic?

Competing studios commonly arrange to have their trailers attached to a big film. Happens all the time. It's still up to the exhibitor to keep the trailer there or not.

Very occasionally, directives go out to the exhibitors NOT to remove, add to or reorder attached trailers. That's extremely rare, though.

E

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter /forum/post/0

Why would Fox be upset about getting their trailers attached to a big hit pic?

Competing studios commonly arrange to have their trailers attached to a big film. Happens all the time. It's still up to the exhibitor to keep the trailer there or not.

Very occasionally, directives go out to the exhibitors NOT to remove, add to or reorder attached trailers. That's extremely rare, though.

E

Fox wanted the Ep. II teaser to run with whatever film was their big holiday movie that year. Disney would have rather had a trailer for one of their films attached. But because Lucas still had a stake in Pixar, he had the Episode II trailer physically attached to all prints of the movie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts