AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT a noob to electronics, but to the HT crowd I must be lost in the woods.

New house, finishing moving in. Wife got new carpet, paint, appliances, I got to upgrade the TV and accessories...

Old System was a 32" Sony CRT Flat screen, low end Sony HTIB. DVD player was a Toshiba progressive scan (gift) started hanging up and finally died. So no DVD during move.

NEW:

Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection CRT. Got it for $600 new.

Comcast HD (non DVR) STB

Onkyo TXSR504 (new)

And I bought some Polk speakers (4) R150's and a Polk Center.

Here's what's driving me nuts....

DVD PLAYER Choice. I've read TONS AND TONS of pages about the Oppo's, Samsung, etc etc..

Right now I want to spend around $100 for the single disc DVD player. New house, new damn near everything, so $100 on the player.

I ran across the Pioneer DV-400V-K player yesterday. I can get it new for $89.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...756832,00.html

I see it plays MP3's, USB stuff as well. All the DVD's that will be played on the player will be standard stuff (Netflix addict).

Any downsides for what I'll be using it for?

And any of you HT experts, please chime in, as I'd like to be able to order cables from Monoprice BEFORE hand so everything can be hooked up one evening soon when I'm home..

Hitachi 51F59 with (1) HDMI input

Comcast 3250HD box (HDMI out)

(eg) Pioneer DV400 DVD player

Onkyo 504 Receiver.

No I know the DVD player will only upconvert when hooked up via HDMI. So should I run HDMI from DVD to TV, then run audio out from DVD to RECEIVER? (digital coax I assume)

Then component from STB to RECEIVER, and then component from RECEIVER to TV?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this thing done for now. I've got a LIST longer than my arm of things that need to be done at the new house, and I'd love to get this settled and done.. (for now)

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I am stupid...I guess with paint codes, moving dates, furniture assembly, turning on phone, cable, etc etc I let the simple "FUN" stuff overwhelm me.

I STILL haven't decided on a DVD player. Since I NEED one (old one died) for the money I mine as well get an 'upconvert' model, but since my 51F59 is 1080i, seems like a 1080p would be a waste for me...or am I over thinking it?

I think at this point I'm going to pull the trigger on the Pioneer AV400VK in black and see how it goes. BB is listing it at $105 or something on sale, but Walmart has it online for $88 before shipping. Local BB said they would match w/ shipping, so I'm going to go for it....

So..

Comcast HD STB - Components to TV, optical audio to receiver

Pioneer DVD - HDMI to TV (HDMI), coax digital audio to receiver

Onkyo TXSR504 - wired to my center speaker, my fronts, and my rear surrounds.

Once everything is up and running in the next week or so, I'm going to start hunting down a sub for my setup and move onto the next item of 5000 or so that the house "needs" (according to the wife).

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc /forum/post/0

Since I NEED one (old one died) for the money I mine as well get an 'upconvert' model, but since my 51F59 is 1080i, seems like a 1080p would be a waste for me...or am I over thinking it?
Yes.

Read the link in my sig.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A tax on the poor and ignorant? Either it means they need to pay more money as the 'tax' to get what's quality, or you're saying it's just not worth it.

And if upscaling is worth it or not, is all dependant on how well your TV already does it. I notice a nice difference in color and sharpness with my Oppo 970 which isn't much more than $100, it does wonders. My TV can upscale, but it adds some edge enhancement. Not to mention I'm putting the upscaling on the DVD hardware and not my TV. If my TV just had an upconvert feature that was simple... fine. But it's got a whole chart where you cna choose any setting up and across the damn thing, 100 to 100. The Oppo is just simpler for me since I know I'd be fooling around with that setting on my TV forever.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
The problem is that general statements that upscaling works or doesn't work are not helpful since it depends on your specific equipment. The scaler in a good upscaling player can be much better than what's in your display, and the only way to know with your equipment is to give it a try. IMO, the Oppos are great value, and it's difficult to find a player that does not upscale nowadays anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.