AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few people have experimented with FL-D filters. After seeing one, I was a little reluctant to buy one in order to try it out as I thought the magenta colour would colour whites and shift the green/blue too far. Does anyone have before/after pics? Does this filter cause the problems I fear it does?

While browsing in the photo store, I noticed these didymium (Colour Enhancement) filters. According to the guy there, they intensify existing reds and orange (warmer shades) without much affecting blues or greens (cooler shades), and leave whites alone. In other words, they selectively shift the warmer colour spectrum. Has anyone tried these types of filters with DLP projectors?

Gerry

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got a hold of both an FL-D and Didymium filter. The FL-D did nothing for the reds or greens as far as intensity/accuracy was concerned. This only warmed the image, basically shifting everything to the right. They greens in particular seemed to be compromised.

Then I tried the Didymium filter. Wow, the reds were really red and intense, and the greens were a green I had never seen before on a projected image. It's really amazing. Unfortunately, neutral colors that had the LP350 greenish cast are also enhanced.

So I decided to try both filters. I first tried the FL-D under the Didymium. The didymium enhanced the shifted flesh-tones to exaggerated reds, and didn't look great for that reason. So then I tried the FL-D over the didymium. Oh dear... I think I may have something there. I don't think I've seen colors like that on my computer monitor let alone a projector. I'm not kidding. Unfortunately, you lose even more brightness with both, but in low light viewing conditions it looks lovely. Even my wife nearly fell over when I showed her a forest scene in the movie "Predator" that included reds and green. I'm going to take some pictures over the next while to document this experiment.

Gerry

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gerry

I must disagree, in my experience, the FLD does improve red by bringing it back to a more normal and natural appearance. I've compared it to a calibrated CRT monitor and I could never get the monitor to produce the quality of red that I could get with the the projector/filter combo. Yes, the filter shifts everything to the warmer side, but thats not a bad thing if the originating image has a decidedly cold push. Maybe it's just me, and I'm trying to be as objective as possible, but I think the compromised greens, as you put it, are more representative of life than the green produced without the filter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the FLD is the best solution but it's the only filter that I've tried so far, and I prefer it to just the projector alone. I've been trying to get my hands on a Kodak CC10M but I can't find them locally.

I thank you for your efforts and I am very interested in your experiments with the Didymium filter, can you give us more information on the filter model number ... ect.

------------------

Regards

GMan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GMan:

"Enhancing (didymium) Filter: (Tiffen, Hoya, B+W, Hitech) Made of special didymium glass creates warm vibrant color by selectively improving saturation of reds and oranges, with a diminished effect on other colors. This one is made for Fall, but very useful thou out the year. Red things like, rock canyons, barns, flowers, SUNSETS, cars, all become interesting subjects."

Hoya also makes them:

http://www.camerastore.com/cat_003_hoya/003intens.html

I have the Tiffen didymium filter. There is no model number required, because any camera equipment store you walk into has people that know these very well. They are more expensive than regular whole spectrum warming filters like the FL-D. I will be posting pics of the FL-D, didymium, and both together soon. But wow... the greens and reds are really wild. I watched Dungon's and Dragons movie last night and was royally blown away at the color. I'm not kidding, I've never seen colors like that on anything. Unfortunately, my digital camera and the monitor viewing the pics will change things... especially the reds. But it should give you some idea. BTW, the didymium isn't quite as dark as the FL-D filter (1/2 - 1 stop compensation compared to 1 - 2 stop compensation for FL-D) so adding it doesn't affect things too much as long as you have the brightness afforded by the LP3XX line.

When I first got the didymium filter, I had so much fun looking though it while driving home at red stop signs and cars going by I almost got into an accident! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Gerry

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.