AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday turned out to be a bad movie day for me. First I take my kid to see Pirates of the Caribbean, which I expected would be entertaining and it would have been if it was about 45 min. shorter. I mean where is the suspense in watching two characters fighting when you know they can't die. Anyway without Depp the film would have had to be about 140 min. shorter to be entertaining. Then, we watched Die Another Day in the home theater. From the horrible title song, to the cartoonish CGI of Bond surfing with the parachute, this was even more boring than the Pirates caper. Easily one of the worst Bond films I've seen and this coming from someone who genuinely likes Pierce Bronsnan. I'm a big fan of the Bond series, but to me it was always a step above just another action movie until the last few. And that ridiculous scene with Bond on the parachute surfing, that was worst than Paul riding the worms in Dune and I almost started laughing. What the hell happened to this series? Its degenerated into a string of action sequences with no time spent on the villains or building any kind of suspense. Die Today!!

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
I couldn't agree more about Die Another Day. When I saw it in the theaters I was beside myself with that awful opening song, which killed the beginning of the film. Then that atrocious surfing scene! That put the movie near XXX quality. I think the new bond films hit their apex with Goldeneye and have been on a downhill ride since then. Hopefully the series can get a boost in the arm eventually. I think they should rethink it and start going darker and sexier. Make Bond films R-Rated and start making intelligent adult action/thrillers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still can't figure out how DAD got the good reviews it did.

This was one of the worst Bond films ever, and the worst dialogue...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Concur with the majority opinion about DAD. The para-surfing scene was just so unbelievably awful! Bring back my boy Sean for the next episode titled "I'll Die Any Day Now!"

Petey

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
The Broccoli family has sold out Bond. It is all product placement, poor stories and Rambo-like effects / non-stop action. The series for all purposes is a moribund mess.

Quote:
Ditto for me. I LOVE Halle Berry, but I just could not convince myself that soft furry little bunny could ever be a kick-butt Bond girl. JR
Regarding Halle Berry. My wife and I met her and walked behind her on the 'red carpet' at the Screen Actors Guild awards a few months ago and though she is short & pretty, she has a rear end with saddle bags. Sort of a Big can. Seeing her big rear right in front to of me killed her for me. My wife also commented this, too. Now Nicole Kidman up close and personal is about as Hollywood as Hollywood can be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Kris im 100% in agreement

after golden eye i havent enjoyed a single bond film

ashame that such a crapy bunch of movies like this are now riding on the waves of the old classic bonds... all i can hope for is a jetty

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
yep, that too (the sword fight): agree, very mean, you can feel these two hated eachother.

but damn does it lack that classic Bond feeling.

btw, Christian Bale will be the next Batman and probably the next Bond after Pierce does one or two more.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTSChuck
Kris im 100% in agreement

after golden eye i havent enjoyed a single bond film

ashame that such a crapy bunch of movies like this are now riding on the waves of the old classic bonds... all i can hope for is a jetty
It's all Mike Meyers' fault. After seeing Austin Powers, I can only giggle when I watch a Bond flick. Even (gasp) the old Sean Connery ones.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I thought "Die Another Day" was pretty good, Brosnan's best since "Goldeneye". Granted none of the recent 007 flicks match Connery's work, but I can't imagine which actor could. I liked Dalton, especially in "License to Kill", but I may be in the minority on that. Re: recent 007 flicks, it's really the producers' fault anyway. The flicks have gotten too bland, cartoonish & formulaic, even for Bond.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.