AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this from Amazon yesterday and played it halfway through (until the other half made me turn the sound down too low to be worthwhile -- sleep sheesh).

Anyway the 5.0 TrueHD mix sounded very nice. Really wanted to play it at full orchestra volume
. The singers were very good and I was enjoying it as much as any opera. Able to brush up on the few german words I know (had english subtitles on).

Video was AVC at 1080i. It did seem that it did not use film. Correct?

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1330/...ledermaus.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have this title en route from Amazon.Com , as well as Roy Orbison's Black & White Night. I cannot wait to plug them in and crank the volume up quite considerably!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bobgpsr,

May I ask what player you used? It refused to play on my week old A35 (408bc00d) But played great on my old A1. Very happy with the disk itself. Sounded great, probably the best my system has sounded. Didn't notice it was 3 hrs long. It pulled me and the wife in until we saw it was WAY past bed time (blasted 4am wakeups).

·
Registered
527 Posts
My copy should arrive today from Amazon. I just got three of the other Opus Arte titles yesterday, too (Swan Lake, Magic Flute, and Midsummer Night's Dream). Can't wait to sit down this weekend and watch them. Does anyone have any feedback on the PQ? Not sure what to expect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We thought the PQ was on par with the AQ, We have been watching almost nothing but HD-DVD for the days prior (other than real life, the TRUE HD) but had zero complaints on the eyes, granted reading the sub titles may influence it.

Next on tap is Midsummer Night's Dream.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My copy just arrived today, cannot wait to get it home tonight and watch it!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHabeck /forum/post/12999536

Bobgpsr,

May I ask what player you used? It refused to play on my week old A35 (408bc00d) But played great on my old A1. Very happy with the disk itself. Sounded great, probably the best my system has sounded. Didn't notice it was 3 hrs long. It pulled me and the wife in until we saw it was WAY past bed time (blasted 4am wakeups).

I played in on my old XA1 with 2.4 f/w. Will be trying it upstairs on my XA2 with 2.8 f/w.

Did you try clearing the A35's persistent memory and then re-starting/initializing persistent memory? Doing so fixed a problem I had with the first disc of Smallville Season 5.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sadly I have tried the usual fix routines.

Called support to log it as a compatability problem for them to look at. Tossed in Shawn of the Dead freezing at 1:29:50 as well.....

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I watched substantial portions of Fledermaus last night. Having owned the DVD since spring 2004, I expected the HD DVD to look and sound very good. I was not disappointed in the least. (Except that, understandably, the extras are SD.) When I get a chance I'll compare the DVD's DTS surround to the TrueHD.

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHabeck /forum/post/12999536

Bobgpsr,

I got the same error code on my A-35 as well. I believe I saw one other person had problems playing this title on his A-35 as well. Has anyone been able to play Fledermaus on their A-35?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did call Toshiba CS to report it as a compatablity issue in hopes they actually listen and can firmware fix it...probably a good idea to log it yourself as well..squeaky wheel getting grease kinda thing.

For now I keep both my A1 and A35 connected, but only use the A1, although slower and a bit more sluggish, at least it plays what i feed it.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
My new A30 yesterday wouldn't play "Die Fledermaus" either, but the 2.0 firmware upgrade fixed it for me, too.

I bet a lot of copies got returned as defective. Maybe that's why it's disappeared from Amazon et al. I bought my copy from Amazon shortly before they pulled it, so it looks like I was lucky.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/13203997

My new A30 yesterday wouldn't play "Die Fledermaus" either, but the 2.0 firmware upgrade fixed it for me, too.

I bet a lot of copies got returned as defective. Maybe that's why it's disappeared from Amazon et al. I bought my copy from Amazon shortly before they pulled it, so it looks like I was lucky.

I can get it to play on my HTPC using PowerDVD Ultra, however the main menu never comes up. The menu background video just comes up and loops, but there is never anything to select or click on. I basically have to skip directly to the starting chapter using my mouse , in PowerDVD Ultra. That's the only way I can get past the buggy menu. I'm hoping this is just a compatibility issue in regardings to PDVD, hopefully it gets fixed in a future patch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts