AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around, but am unable to find an answer. What is the die in coax crimpers used for? I've been looking to buy some coax crimpers and have found some that have 40 different dies. What are these used for? Thanks

·
Registered
915 Posts
Different dies are for different coax and connector designs. For example RG-59, RG-6 and RG-6 Quad Shield all require a different connector. The connectors being different diameters, require different dies to crimp properly. Your local big box has the different units or Parts Express (Forum Sponsor) also carries a crimper with dies for their various connectors. I have received excellent service from PE and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, maybe I'm looking for the wrong tool, I want to be able to put F and RCA ends on RG6 cable. Will that compression connector tool do that, or do I need to buy crimpers and crimp dies? Thanks maddogmc!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Niether is "wrong". You just have to buy the correct tool for the connectors you choose. I have used the crimp type for years but that is just because I already had the tool. The cable installer that just connected my new home was using the compression tool. I suspect the compression tool may be a little more foolproof but someone else with compression tool experience should chime in here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crimper looks like it would be more flexible, but I don't see a die to put RCA ends on RG6. Is this correct, or will the last die on that page work for RCA connectors? If not, it looks like the compression tool would be my choice, but limit me in the future in terms of other connectors.

·
Registered
915 Posts
This is a link for a crimp type RCA plug.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15422&DID=7

You are correct in that there is a far larger selection of crimp connectors than compression connectors and some people will tell you that you absolutely "need" gold plated connectors or some particular brand. I personally can't tell the difference among any of the quality name brand connectors and haven't had to change out anything because it wasn't "gold". One point, which ever system you choose, get the recommended stripper tool. It makes life so much easier and your cuts/strips will all be the proper length.

Almost forgot, the crimp connector link shows the required die.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The crimp tool has been used for years. But IMHO the compression tool is the best way to go. Better fit, better connection and more professional looking. It doesnt smash the sides down to Crimp the end of the connecter on. Better connections=better picture and sound.

My .02

Ron

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I already have a hex crimp tool I use for attaching "F" connectors to RG6 Quad cables. Can I use the same tool for attaching the crimp RCA connectors that maddogmc posted a link to? That would sure save me a lot of money.

And thanks for posting all the links, I had been looking for something like this.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hello, is this thing on?

·
Registered
915 Posts
My RG6-QS die measures .350". I believe the RCA plug called for a .360" die. In this case .01" should not ruin anything but I would probalby order a spare plug to test with first. I intend to make up some custom length component cables with RCA ends and use my existing die.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.