AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on different subs connected to the same amplifier.

I have got a 500wrms mono block sub amp and a single 12inch connected to it. it sounds great but it's in a home theater and I feel that you can never have to much bass. The 12inch can only handle about 200wrms leaving a lot of head room on the amp. I was thinking of getting a 15inch to go with it to reproduce the REALLY low stuff.

So what do you think??:) :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
The only benefit of a larger bass driver is the ability to displace more air before reaching the excursion limits and therefore achieve more ultimate SPL. However, a 15 inch driver requires a significantly larger enclosure to achieve the same tuning as a 12 inch woofer. Therefore, it is unlikely that a 15 sub will have any greater bass extension than a comparable 12 inch unit. The concept of adding a 15-inch woofer to handle the "really low stuff" is flawed.

The only reason to add a second subwoofer is to achieve higher output. Whether you need additional output depends on whether or not you are clipping your sub amp and/or reaching the driver's excursion limits at your particular listening levels.

If you determine that you need additional output, then adding a second indentical sub might be a valid upgrade path. Adding a second non-identical sub would not make sense -- trying to integrate two subs with different response curves into the same system is nearly impossible.

Another valid upgrade path would be to replace your current sub driver/enclosure with a more capable package.

A third valid upgrade path, if you have excess amplifier capacity and are not bottoming the current woofer, might be one of several approaches to active EQ. Whether this makes sense and which approach would be appropriate depends on your particular driver/enclosure combination.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.