AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before. I am wondering what differences would be noticeable between 1080/60p(i) and 1080/24p. I understand that the refresh or frame rate is the main difference but how does that affect what you see during movie playback? I understand 1080/24p to be better but why? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There are a lot of displays out there right now that accept a 1080/24 signal. It depends if your tv will DISPLAY 1080/24. Some will change the incoming 24hz signal to a 60hz signal, there fore you will lose all of the benefit.

What kind of display will you be using? Does it accept/display a 24hz source?

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty /forum/post/0

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am wondering what differences would be noticeable between 1080/60p(i) and 1080/24p. I understand that the refresh or frame rate is the main difference but how does that affect what you see during movie playback? I understand 1080/24p to be better but why? Thanks.

A book can be written on this (and some have)

Basic answer is 60 is not evenly dividable by 24, and 24fps is what most movies (if not all) are recorded at. Taking a 24fps signal and converting it to 60fps is not direct math, you need some magic to squeeze an extra frame in there sometimes and sometime not. This causes artifacts and stuttering (irregular jumps) on pans that some can see in some scenes. Some devices do this magic better than others.

Other issues aside, you want all the transitions from DVD movie to screen refresh rate to be multiples of 24fps and with 1080 lines of resolution (i/p is non factor for movies). Its better if the screen refreshes at a rate like 96fps or more.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Panny AE900u accepts 1080/24p but I am not sure whether it converts it. I'd have to check the manual again tonight. Another question, what players currently output this 'holy grail' of resolution? I know the 360 add-on doesn't and maybe not the first toshiba players.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
None at the moment. It has been stated that the XA2 will have a future firmware update that will enable this feature. The only way to get 24p at this time with a HD-DVD player would be to use a VP that would take in 1080i60 and output 1080p24.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah3sixty /forum/post/0

Which HD-DVD players support 1080p/24 ?

The XA2 will have an update in Feb supposedly.The XA2 also does an excellent job with 1080P/60. I dont have P24 TV, so it's a non-issue for me, and haven't really done much homework on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only 1080p TV that I know of that would benefit from a 24fps source would be the pioneer elite. This is because this model of plasma supports a 72Hz refresh rate, meaning it can display the 24fps content with no judder (since 24 goes into 72...). I don't know of any other TVs boasting this feature. It's probably a moot point anyway, since I imagine that the TV would have no problem performing a inverse 3:2 pulldown on a 60Hz source, and then displaying it in its proper 3:3 form.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked the manual for my panny AE900u and when receiving 1080p/24 the horizontal refresh rate is set to 24 as well so I guess that would work pretty good to avoid judder. I am not sure if I have ever noticed or been bothered by judder while watching DVDs. I am just trying to decide whether to get the HD-DVD add-on or wait for a player that support 1080p/24 (mostly for judder since the panny is native 720p).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The Sony "Pearl" displays the 24hz signal at 96hz.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/0

Yes, to me, 24p is only usefull if you have a display that could display in multiples of 24p (48p, 72p, 96p or 120p). If not, I would rather have it displaying it at 60p and bite the judder bullet, espcially if you have an LCD display.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk /forum/post/0

None at the moment. It has been stated that the XA2 will have a future firmware update that will enable this feature. The only way to get 24p at this time with a HD-DVD player would be to use a VP that would take in 1080i60 and output 1080p24.

xbox HD DVD drive hooked up to a PC does 1080p24

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

Quote:

But, I believe that it can only accept that signal in analog mode, according to the manual, no? It is memory 9. So, the HD or BD player would need to output it over the component video?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ /forum/post/0

But, I believe that it can only accept that signal in analog mode, according to the manual, no? It is memory 9. So, the HD or BD player would need to output it over the component video?

I only have mine hooked up via HDMI. It does say that it is receiving a 24hz signal.

The debate is how it is displayed. Sony has said publicly that it displays at 96hz but the manual doesn't state that anywhere.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

Quote:

I only have mine hooked up via HDMI. It does say that it is receiving a 24hz signal.

The debate is how it is displayed. Sony has said publicly that it displays at 96hz but the manual doesn't state that anywhere.

That is good news as that is what I have, only. But am unable to test that 24Hz yet.
Maybe one of these players soon.

Have you noticed a visual difference from a 24Hz source and a 60Hz source? If that is even testable using the same source.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Well, testing would all be subjective. But I do notice a difference.

Panning and action scenes appear more "clean". I guess it has to do with less judder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.