AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the difference between these types of connections? My limited inderstanding is that they are both component connections and that the "Pro" version has more bandwidth (and are therefore supposedly capable of passing more information). The reason I ask is because I am attempting to determine if it is worth waiting for the HX series of new Toshiba televisions. If the extra bandwidth makes a difference I'll wait. One other question I had, I know that Toshiba claims their sets have a very high resolution (something like 1600 lines) but that ISF techs have calibrated the set and only found about 1000 or less. Could this be due to crappy inputs? In other words, technically the CRTs are capable of displaying that many lines but the inputs can't pass enough information?

thanks

Tim

·
Registered
706 Posts
Colorstream refers to interlaced component =15.75KHz(480i). Colorstream Pro refers to progressive and Highdefinition component input=31.5KHZ for 480p and 33.75KHz for 1080i.

The number 1600 is an exaggerated one. At best it may approach around 1300-1350. There has been a lot of discussion on that topic here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, if it's 1350 that is as high as any of the $20K plasma panels. Does anyone have any solid info on the performance differences between the CRTs in the xxH81 line and the "Pegasus II Advanced" CRTs in the xxHX81 line?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
It's possible for a manufacturer to specify, deceptively, the theoretical display capability of a system by giving only the bandwidth of the video electronics. That means the electronics could pass a 1600-line signal, but the CRT/optics of the system couldn't display it. You can approximate the capability of a RPTV set's lenticular screen by dividing the pitch of its ribs into the width of the screen. A set, of course, could also have an adequate rib pitch for, say, 1600 lines, but video electronics that whacks 38% from such a signal. In the supposed ~1000-line limitation you mentioned there's a separate problem. A 'limited' (I won't call it crappy) test signal was used from a pattern generator capable of providing either 1920-line or 960-line test patterns, but nothing in between. -- John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.