AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I am half way done wiring my basement. I have an older Sony big screen that only has coax and rca connections. I ran coax for now and component for the future( I heard Uverse has problems with HDMI). I ran short on the coax, and for grins I tried plugging the component cable into the 1 video and 2 audio ports on the TV and Dish STB. It worked great.

So, this leads to my question. Is there a difference between the composite cables and component cables internally, or is it just the color of the connectors?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Baaswically just the connector color, although component cables tend to be made from heavier gauge wire then that used for composite.

·
Registered
22,852 Posts
Typically, there is no difference between composite (yellow) and component (red, green, blue) cables. They are 75 Ohm and shielded.

Red/white audio cables can work for video but one should not assume they are the same as video cables. It is best to use 75 Ohm cables for video.

Any composite/component cable is just fine for audio connections.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
RCA audio and video interconnects use coaxial cable, ideally it should all be 75ohm. You get into varying degrees of quality with the cable between different makes and models of interconnects.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
You can usually use component cable sets as video/audio composite, but not composite AV cables as component. As noted above, the Ohm rating of the audio connections is different. What you're doing will work, but I wouldn't do it the other way around.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Composite video cables should still be 75 ohms, the audio cables on the other hand may not be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to bump a very old thread. I just wanted to make sure I got it right:

RCA is the connector.

Composite, Component and SPDIF are signals (video and audio).

The cable itself is the same for the three, considering they are 75 ohm ?

If I'm mistaken, what is very likely, could you provide me with the right information? I need cables for Video Component and SPDIF connections: what should I buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
You are correct and for component or SPDIF I'd probably use a better quality cable(not one of the free ones that come with DVD players) but I've also used those for component in a pinch

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1109285/difference-between-component-and-composite-rcas#post_23035946

You are correct and for component or SPDIF I'd probably use a better quality cable(not one of the free ones that come with DVD players) but I've also used those for component in a pinch

Thank you very much. Do you have any recommendation of a relatively-low-priced 3-way cable for the component connection and 1 way for the SPDIF?

Where should I look for it (online) ? Which key-words should I use when searching for them?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Monoprice.com is a great place to get most any AV cables. They are also a AVS forum sponsor but most importantly they have great prices and shipping is reasonable.

My only complaint about MP cables is they are a bit on the stiff/thick side but if thats OK the cables are quite good quality. I've purchased component + L&R audio cables from them(5 wires all connected) and again while it works good it's very stiff and slightly heavy. To lessen stress on the jack I might suggest a separate audio cable but maybe I'm being paranoid, my TV jacks haven't broken yet, just a bit hard to maneuver.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1109285/difference-between-component-and-composite-rcas#post_23036745

Monoprice.com is a great place to get most any AV cables. They are also a AVS forum sponsor but most importantly they have great prices and shipping is reasonable.

My only complaint about MP cables is they are a bit on the stiff/thick side but if thats OK the cables are quite good quality. I've purchased component + L&R audio cables from them(5 wires all connected) and again while it works good it's very stiff and slightly heavy. To lessen stress on the jack I might suggest a separate audio cable but maybe I'm being paranoid, my TV jacks haven't broken yet, just a bit hard to maneuver.

Thanks again. One last question. Instead of using component + L&R, can I use component + SPDIF? Which one gives me better quality?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts