Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just bought a long length video cable to connect my AV preamp to the projector.

I needed a component cable but I could not find one of 7 meters so I bought an AV cable (stereo + video composite) since it featured 3 RCA pins anyway !

Now I installed it and I see no colour ! Just black and white

What is the difference between the component and these "composite" cable ?

Thanks,

Cedric

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
It should work. Component is the same as three composites. Sounds like your hook up is bad. Do you have component running into your AV preamp? Check that you are plugged into the correct jacks. Also see that your projector is confiqured for component in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow now you brought my interest back !

here is the setup :

PS2 set as Yc out (somehow the RGB setting does not produce anything...)

Preamp : Krell HTS Component (Yc) IN and Component Yc Out to the Sony VPL VW11HT RGB (or Yc) IN

What can possibly be wrong ?

Thanks for your help on this,

Cedric

[email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok sorry I tried to setup again and it works !!!

Sorry for the stupid blaberring ... but I am happy it works !!!

Thanks for your support !

Cedric

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Glad all is fine. In my store where things are hooked up and unhooked alot I can't count the times how often something gets plug into the wrong whole, especially when the labeling on the hole is not visible to the plugger. Or the thing hasn't been set up to turn the hole on or . . . .

·
Registered
168 Posts
You sure bring up a good point for those of us not interested in single fiber oxygen-free mu-metal monstercable at $500 per foot.

In my local store the "gold" 3 conductor composite AV cable was 1/3 the price of the "gold" 3 conductor component video cable. They had the same thickness, the same finish and the same feel, and like you I found the AV cable worked fine and the picture was perfect with a 12' run. The only difference I could tell was the labels and colors of the actual RCA connectors.

Sure seems to me like the cable companies are trying to soak the early adopers of HDTV who are presumably less price sensitive than the mass market.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Sorry Dan. The fact that it works is not determinative of whether better results in better. As in audio, the quality of the cable makes a very discernible difference. The less good your projector (let's just start with the degree of resolution and the quality of the deinterlacer/processor) the less important the cable.

You go right ahead there Dan. The world is indeed flat and all dealers are out there to rip people off. Enjoy your HT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.