AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this moment I'm an happy owner of a Davis Dls8, but I want to change.

I would like to buy or a Cinema Ten Pro from Dream Vision or a HT300 from Sim2. I use the pj in a no completly darked room so I think that the first pj is better ( 1100 ansi lumen ). But I would like to know if the DMD 16:9 1280x720 is "always" better than the 4:3 1024x768. I see a lot of DVD ( I don't want to use a HTPC ), but also Satellite TV ( in Italy ).

Thanks a lot for the reply

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you're not in a completely darkened room, then the lumen output of the PJ may become a factor. The problem is, how dark does it actually get? Also, the DMD choice is dependent on what you're watching most. What percentage of DVD do you watch in widescreen versus satellite in 4:3 format?

I got the opportunity to demo the HT300 a few months back and was very satisfied with it (although I could not afford it). I have not seen the Cinema Ten Pro, so I can't give you any input on it.

I think the bottom line here, and what most forum members will tell you, is that you MUST see both projectors in your own theater environment. You'll be investing a few bucks in your decision. Make sure it's the correct one!

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see ( with my wife ) a lot of DVD movies ( maybe one a day ), but also tv programs ( last week I changed the lamp with 2000 hours in 2 years ).

The light in the room is a big problem. I would like to post a pic of the room but I dont' know how to do.

Bye

·
Registered
916 Posts
Beautiful room! I love wood flooring!

You might want to put down an area rug so that the sound doesn't bounce off of too many surfaces (just a suggestion).

Although I'm no expert (nor do I pretend to be), I have had experience in a brightly lit room, namely, my family room. You've definitely got one of those "lit up" rooms similar to my family room. You're going to need window treatments to kill some of that ambient light so that your projected image is not washed out.

As I suggested before, your best bet is to take possession of a loaner unit of your liking, set it up in YOUR environment, and fire away. This is the only way you're going to see the results.

Here's the problem: Let's assume you purchased a 2000 lumen projector today, installed it in your brightly lit room and ended up absolutely horrified at the washed-out image. NOT A GOOD SCENARIO! Sure, you can then go out and get some sort of window treatments to help with the light problem, but now you have a projector that's overkill for your room and an unnecessary hole in your wallet (of course, it sounds like your PJ choices are already going to leave a hole in your wallet! ;) ). Don't make a serious mistake. Find a dealer that will let you "test drive before you buy".

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.