AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older Kenwood THX receiver hooked to a older NEC projector. When playing DVD movies, the input that I always use is "DVD/CD". I just added my first Blu Ray player Samsung BD 1500. No HDMI hookup so just component. I have 5.1 in wall surround sound with two Boston fronts, front center channel, two small rear and a Sub. I want to get the most out of my sound and although I think the sound is really good, it seems that I rarely here the rear's. Those sounds from bangs and bashes, the tinker of someone hammering. My question is whats the difference in the DVD/6 channel input. I try this input and its really bad sound/static. It only works in DVD/CD input. Whats the 6 channel for. Do I need a new receiver with HDMI and will it make that much difference. I know very little about these matters but I always want the best my budget will allow. Any recommendations on what I could do to my current system that would make a difference. Or just leave it be and enjoy. Oh one last thing, I watched Indiana Jones last night on Blu Ray and when you go into the settings on the movie, it only seems to have "2 channel". What does that mean. Sorry for being so inexperienced but I am learning. Thanks again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think just component?. No, I think I have a optical cable. But is that for the video portion. No HDMI for sure. What is the best way? Maybe I'm not doing it. Sorry. I told you I am challenged. If I had a new HDMI receiver, would one connection solve all the mystery? I don't really want to buy a new receiver unless the sound would be night and day. As I said, the overall sound seems really good and if I said to my wife I need a new receiver for better sound she might shoot me right on the spot. Just kidding. Thanks again

·
Registered
410 Posts
component is for the video & the optical is for your audio.

you would require hdmi cables & receiver if you want to get the lossless sound formats from bluray discs but almost all blurays offer the standard dolby digital 5.1. & this will travel thru an optical cable. you may need to adjust the audio settings in your bluray player to output as bitstream...then your receiver will recognize the DD 5.1 track.

is the dvd/6 channel an actual input or is it just a sound field selection offered by your receiver? it may just mean its sending all sound to all surround speakers which is not true surround sound (in dolby digital 5.1 you shouldnt be hearing everything thru your surrounds, just like you said background & directional noises like the bangs, bashes, hammering etc)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/15447861

you would require hdmi cables & receiver if you want to get the lossless sound formats from bluray discs

That's only one way. You can also use multichannel analog connections. amazon - is that what you mean by "6 channel" ?

Ed

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
It sounds like your receiver has not been properly set up. With an optical audio connection and regular DVDs, you should get plenty of audio in your surround speakers. If your receiver came with a setup microphone, have you used it? If not, have you followed the steps in the manual to test and set the levels of all six speakers in your system?

You should get great audio from BDs over optical. There's no reason to get a new AVR.

Once you get the basic setup right, people here will be happy to help with questions about particulars such as 6 Channel. Without a proper setup, you'll never get good results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.