AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Probably lighter and more efficient. For sub duty, unless one of them has a high pass, they should sound the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20799336


venturing from standard class A/B design always gets me concerned. Not sure why, ive always seemed to prefer that over D, but i dont know if ive ever heard class H

All class H is is an AB1 or AB1G amp with a tracking power supply. Yamaha have been making them for years.


The main advantage to it over the same type with a linear (just to annoy Bob Lee) mains freq PSU is no bulky mains transformer and the weight it brings. My new generation Yamaha amps are about half the weight of the old units, but that makes no difference in a typical fixed installation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
In any case I picked up a class H amp the other day and I got the same exact measurements class H GX5 vs EP4000. It is literally identical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
I was under the impression that the ep4000 is a class h amp
The EP2500 is class H. If the EP4000 is a rebadged EP2500, then it should be the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good to know, so i guess really the only difference is that one has the transformers and the other is switch mode, not sure what this means as far as performance goes, but both claim "ATR" accelerated transient response, so not sure if there is a difference at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,351 Posts
The EP2500/4000 are G. They simply rail switch and do not have a tracking PSU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
Question: I replaced the fans to a quiter units as per this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...0-fan-mod.html . I use the amp in stereo for dual subs, one per channel. Now I have a reduced signal on the 1st channel and a hum in the subwoofer. Any ideas????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308
The EP2500/4000 are G. They simply rail switch and do not have a tracking PSU.
I have looked this up and couldnt find any info on it being class g when I googled it. Even when I google "ep4000 class g" it still comes up with results saying class h.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
Are you using an eq?
Anti Mode on LFE going into the amp. I have undone the Anti Mode and still get the same results with the reduced siganl and hum. So now that I changed fans I probably blew the warrenty. Anybody recommend a good 2 channel amp with 2 ohm modes for one sub with dual drivers (4 ohm drivers) per channel????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2
Anti Mode on LFE going into the amp. I have undone the Anti Mode and still get the same results with the reduced siganl and hum. So now that I changed fans I probably blew the warrenty. Anybody recommend a good 2 channel amp with 2 ohm modes for one sub with dual drivers (4 ohm drivers) per channel????
I doubt it is the amp...how do u have it connected? Y-cable or do you have dual subwoofer outs. Where do you plug your amp into? Is there other Plugs in the same outlet? Unplug the coax and see if the hum goes away. A simple fix for a hum is a .75 3to2 plug adapter. By removing the ground you remove the hum. Most don't recommend it but at least it will get you started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2
Question: I replaced the fans to a quiter units as per this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...0-fan-mod.html . I use the amp in stereo for dual subs, one per channel. Now I have a reduced signal on the 1st channel and a hum in the subwoofer. Any ideas????
I put the 26cfm fans in my 2 EPX4000's on Monday and do not have a problem so far. I did use new connectors on the new fans and just plugged them back into the board after removing the goo from the stock fan connectors. I also used rubber mounts when reinstalling. They are a lot easier than screwing the fans into place, plus they can make the fans even quieter. How are you providing the amp with a signal? Make sure you have the setup switches in the back correct. Unless you somehow physically damaged one of the circuit boards I dont see how your problems could arise. I believe that if you are feeding both channels the same signal mono mode would be apropriate. Then only channel 1 or 2 needs the input signal as I understand.


BTW anyone using these in bridge mode the channel 2 gain seems to have no effect. I set my channel 2 at the lowest setting as recommended in the EP4000 manual. The EPX manual is not to discriptive on bridge mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts
I did have the crossover switch on and turned it off and the problem went away. All is OK now. Where did you get the rubber mounts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
I have looked this up and couldnt find any info on it being class g when I googled it. Even when I google "ep4000 class g" it still comes up with results saying class h.
I am having a blonde day, so... My recollection from the schematic as G, but the QSC it's supposedly a clone of is H. I can't find my copy here, so it might be on the backup. I'll look tomorrow.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top