AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am in the correct area.. if not, please direct me to the proper forum. My question is about HDMI splitters/switches. I would like to split the HDMI signal of my HDTV cable box and my Blu Ray. I want the signal to go to two HDTVs... one 55 inch, the other 32 inch. These units go from $25.. to $400.00... Why??? Is there a difference from the cheap one as to the expensive. For example.. Gefen company has a 2x2 switch HDMI1.3 the price is $349!!! However I can find other companies for half that price.... any info would be helpful

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmazzei /forum/post/16941524

I hope I am in the correct area.. if not, please direct me to the proper forum. My question is about HDMI splitters/switches. I would like to split the HDMI signal of my HDTV cable box and my Blu Ray. I want the signal to go to two HDTVs... one 55 inch, the other 32 inch. These units go from $25.. to $400.00... Why??? Is there a difference from the cheap one as to the expensive. For example.. Gefen company has a 2x2 switch HDMI1.3 the price is $349!!! However I can find other companies for half that price.... any info would be helpful

Thanks

Mike

Basically if you buy a 1.3 version thats powered most should do the job you require. Your set up is very simple and a lower price unit should work fine. Usually the plastic models are the cheapest.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
some are probably matrix switchers, and HDMI switching is a clusterf**k...

There are some where you can customize the EDID, and various other things. HDMI is complicated, the feature set is large, that's why some of the switchers are very expensive, you need to pay for that if that's what you need.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have only bought a splitter. Went on ebay and chose the cheapest plastic 1.3 powered I could find. When it arrived I plugged it in. Works fine with my 50ft cable. Zero problems whatsoever. The splitter is so tiny that lays behind the cabinet along with the spaghetti of cables. I can't see it so can't see why I would spend a penny more.

As I've said this is just a splitter maybe (probably) switches are more complicated.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Do you want a splitter or a switch?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
mgmazzei has a cable box and a player that he wants to feed to two displays, he either needs a 2x2 switcher/splitter (both displays play the same source) or a matrix 4x2

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV /forum/post/16950969

mgmazzei has a cable box and a player that he wants to feed to two displays, he either needs a 2x2 switcher/splitter (both displays play the same source) or a matrix 4x2

If the displays have two HDMI inputs he could also use two 1X2 splitters and run two HDMI cables to each display.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts