AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody with first-hand experience tell me the sound difference between digital i-Link and analog multi-channel SACD/DVD-A playback? Is it worh spending so much for i-Link or HDMI gears? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well the receiver will do the Digital to Analogue conversion and if it is a good one, like the Pioneer Elite 49TXi, the DAC conversion is probably better than the DVD/SACD player provides. Another benefit is that through firewire the receiver detects the incoming signal (whether it is a 5.1/4.0/2.0/2.1 etc) and handles it appropriately. Plus the receiver can do the bass manageament in the digital domain.

I highly recommend it.

About HDMI I cannot comment cause I do not have neither a display nor a player.:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points. Thanks.

Assuming everything the same (the same DAC and BM, etc.), would digital output sound much better than analog output or about the same?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the 49txi and recently upgraded from a rp91 to a pioneer 50avi. With this upgrade I was finally able to make use the ilink.

First, I love the 59avi, and it has several benefits for me over the rp91. However, I am not convinced there is a big sound difference with multi-channel music using ilink with this player and analog-audio with the rp91.

Not exactly a black and white test, but my impressions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gamecock.

You have all the benefits of directly testing your 59avi and 49txi with i-Link and with analog outs. Could you run a test to confirm the lack of enhancement in hi-res audio via i-Link? That will be great. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ptpli,

Yes, that would be a good test, but I cannot perform it. It didn't take me long to see the ease to setup with the ilink and I sold my analog cables. I do not want to go back to the rat's nest I had before.

Sorry,

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.