AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was looking at the SPL VS Freq chart and I was seeing that at 20 hz the SPL for the ultra is at about 89 SPL when it is tuned to 20 hz.  For the PB-1000 the chart shows about 87 SPL for 20 hz.  It looks like the only difference is about 2 SPL between the two at 20 hz.  

Is 2 SPL actually an extremely noticeable difference?

Is there something else to consider besides SPL when it comes to how much you hear or feel from the sub?

I see that the ultra has a much greater range but it just seems like even at 20 hz it should be much louder/powerful at 20 hz than the pb-1000.

I love bass but I'm a noobie when it comes to tech specs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981  /t/1524388/difference-between-pb-1000-and-the-pb13-ultra#post_24532235

The charts you're looking at don't denote maximum output. The PB13U has on the order of a 10dB output advantage at 20Hz (~100dB vs ~110dB @ 2m ground plane) which is most definitely noticeable.
Thanks for the reply, where does it state that information?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981  /t/1524388/difference-between-pb-1000-and-the-pb13-ultra#post_24532334

I'm not sure that SVS states it directly on their site, but you can find 3rd party test results for the Ultra at data-bass.com, and Ed Mullen @ SVS will likely give you comparable in house numbers for the PB1000 if you shoot them an e-mail.
That is interesting, I wonder why they would leave that data out of their site.  It seems like they may want to cater to the less knowledgeable people like myself that doesn't fully understand SPL vs DB but still want a very good quality subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The reason they probably don't show that data is because they could be accused of tweaking numbers or incorrectly or inconsistantly measuring. That's why it is best if there is a single 3rd party person like Josh Ricci to test subs from all different companies as he has no bias to any one company. What SVS and other companies are showing on their graphs is how "flat" the frequency response of their subs are like the +/-3db spec. They show that data at lower than max SPL's because as the sub is pushed harder the freq resp will become less flat.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfanatic  /t/1524388/difference-between-pb-1000-and-the-pb13-ultra#post_24532312

Thanks for the reply, where does it state that information?
Its the title of the graph in bold letters right above the graph:  Frequency Response/Acoustic Data:

Right under the graph, also in bold, it states: **Frequency response graph does not denote maximum output capability.

So its not exactly hidden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts