AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy a 50" plasma for my new family room home theatre. After reading the threads here and seeing various models in person at local retailers' stores, I'm closing in on a Pioneer. However, I'm confused on the different 50" models. Are they all High Definition? I plan to watch mostly digital cable tv and occasional over-the-air High Def shows. And possibly later buy a DirecTV dish for more HD broadcasts (although AT&T Digital Cable (soon-to-be-Comcast) says they'll be offering HD later this year.

Any clarification on the various Pioneer models would be greatly appreciated.

David McCary

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
DMac:

Welcome to the forum.

The Pioneer 503 and 1000 models are essentially the same, with the main difference being the black frame on the 1000, plus the 1000 has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the 503. Also, the 503 is classified as a commercial rather than home use product. There are some other threads which explain this difference. I believe the 1000 has a standard video card, which I know is an option on the 503 (I have a 503CMX with the optional PDA-5002 card). This card gives you S-Video, composite, and DVI inputs, plus it provides the 503 with the ability to watch a component source, such as a DVD player. The 503 without the card only accepts PC-type signals.

There is also a newer model called the 5030HD, which comes with a media box. It handles all input connections and connects with one cable to the plasma.

All of the Pioneer 50" units are high definition. I believe that's also a true statement for all 50" or larger plasmas, regardless of make.

You can find out a lot more about these units or others by using the search function.

Good luck making your choice.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i believe you have to also separately purchase the 5002 card for use with the 1000; the 5002 will support dvi; the 1000 comes bundled with a video card (unlike the 503), but it is not the same as the 5002 video card.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just for the sake of clarity, although the 503CMX is sold as a commerical product, it is still a Class B device and so is rated for home use.

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dmac - which HD did you mean? On the website I see two 50" models suffixed with HD: PDP-5030HD and the PRO-1000HD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to those who helped explain the different Pioneer 50" models. I'm interested in all Pioneer HD models, regardless of model number.

It's interesting that the 5030HD has a media box resulting in "one cable" going to the plasma screen. Does that imply the other models like the CMX and the 1000 have more than one cable connecting to the plasma? I presume if you want to connect multiple sources to the screen you'll have multiple cables plugging into it.

My screen will be on the opposite side of the room as my input devices, so maybe I should get the 5030HD so I won't have to run multiple, long cables to the screen. Any thoughts?

David

·
Registered
299 Posts
A word of caution on the 5030HD, the cable that links it to the media box ships as a 3m terminated cable. There is an option to get a longer 7m cable but that is as long as it can go according to Pioneer.

The fact that the cable is already terminated obviously makes it easier to set up, but much harder to pull the cable through walls and ducting.

Going for the CMX version does not necessarily mean pulling more cables, it just depends on your sources and your amp.

I use a Denon 5803 which will convert S-Video and Composite to Component, so I just needed a single multi-core video grade co-ax cable to link the amp to the screen. I actually ran 2 x 4 cores just in case of future needs.

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
How wide is the terminated cable connector from the media box to the 5030HD? I have a two inch wide PCV chase I can run it through.

bobsupra

·
Registered
299 Posts
The cable is a twin headed arrangement, I've attached a diagram.

The larger of the connectors is a DVI connector which would measure a little over 1 1/2 inches by itself.

I guess it will depend how deep the chase is really.

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mark,

The attachment comes up blank; however, thanks for the information. The chase is only three feet, runs up and down, with no bends except a right angle at the bottom. Looks like it will be no problem. Now to find the best price for the 5030HD.

Let the saga continue.

bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.