AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
505HD is the last-generation 50" consumer model.

as far as i know, there is no such thing as a 503MX. there is a 503CMX that is the current generation 50" consumer model.

doody.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We should be more specific. The 505HD is the 2d generation Pioneer. It has been superseded by the PRO1000HD. These are the "consumer" models, FCC class B certified. the 1000HD is also styled as a Pioneer Elite model with a large, black frame that many folks hate but a few love, altho the frame is removeable without voiding the warranty. it has a 2-year warranty and comes with a table stand.

The 2d generation "industrial" model, the 502MX, has been superseded by the new 503CMX. This model, almost identical to the Pro1000HD, has a silver frame, an acrylic front (the 1000HD uses glass and is a few pounds heavier) and a 1-year warranty, and two odd-looking "feet" instead of a pedestal stand (which can be bought separately). The plasma substrates are identical.

Both models use a "video card" approach; both have what looks very much like a PCI card. The 1000HD comes with a card installed, which has various connections on it (s-video, component). The 503CMX comes without a card, but most vendors are offering the companion card (PDA5002) as a bundle and it's a few hundred bucks extra. this card contains s-video, component and DVI-D inputs. Forum members have inserted the 5002 card into the pro1000HD and it appears to work, altho the manual cautions against removing cards once installed.

The picture quality of these units is a significant step up from the 505HD and 502MX. See the detailed review in the current Perfect Vision or at Pete Putnam's site, www.projectorexpert.com.

Dell has been offering the 503CMX via it's 'small business sale' for $8450 or so, plus the cost of the card. the Pro1000HD sells through video dealers and is priced higher.

There are numerous threads with pictures and lots more details. Please search the forum.

cheers

·
Registered
925 Posts
clarifications:

* unlike the 503CMX, the PRO1000HD does not come with any stand or "feet" of any sort.

* the card that ships with the PRO1000HD includes S-video (INPUT3) and Composite rca-style video (INPUT4) - along with some rca audio connections. the component (BNC) video is on the unit itself (INPUT2). i think Joel probably meant Composite in his post not Component.

doody.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The feet that some with the 503cmx are actually pretty stable and look kind of cool.

One thing about the 5002 Video card. If you do not have it installed, you cannot use the Video options on your inputs, which means you can only use VGA/XVGA/RGB Input. You also will not get the 3:2 pulldown, PureCinema Video Processing, or DVI and Composite inputs without the card.

So now I have this really cool looking plasma screen sitting on really cool feet waiting for the 5002 card and wallmount which my dealer had shipped separately. Not his fault, I guess, since I'll still have everything on site in less than a week from placing the order (this after waiting two months on Dell.)

Greg

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
thanks for clearing up those points, doody. yes I meant composite; just typing too fast i guess.

I stand corrected on the stand; for some reason i thought it came with one.

Cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anybody know whether the wall mounting bolts are in the same position on the new vs. the old? Is the screen frame the same size? In other words, can I just replace my 505HD with one of the new models in a location which has pretty tight tolerances?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know about the dimensions but I used a 505 mount for my Pro1000HD (aka 503) and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
because of the slip-on Urishi frame, the 1000 measures 49-5/8' x 30-5/8. (Remove the frame and it is 48 x 28-1/8; i think that is the same as the 505.) the mounting holes are the same.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used the peerless PLAPION50 model (16" centers).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.