AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there's a very slight difference in the expansion from 4:3 to 16:9 versus 16:9 to 2.35, but it is very slight (1.333 vs 1.322).

Is that the only difference? That the WideVision is intended to expand 4:3 to 16:9 and the CineWide to expand 16:9 to 2.35?

Are the lenses about the same diameter?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I guess there's a very slight difference in the expansion from 4:3 to 16:9 versus 16:9 to 2.35, but it is very slight (1.333 vs 1.322).

Is that the only difference? That the WideVision is intended to expand 4:3 to 16:9 and the CineWide to expand 16:9 to 2.35?

Are the lenses about the same diameter?

Thanks,
Scott
Just to comment on the AR it's the same ratio. We often refer to all widescreen content as 2.35, even if it's 2.39, 2.40 or other variants. Actually the technically correct ratio is 2.37 when using a 1.33x A lens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference is in terms of "CineWide" and "WideVision", but I currently have a Runco lens which is labeled "WideVision" which is identical to the ISCO IIIL. I can see where it might be confusing though, I turned up the below lens in an search which is clearly labeled that it is intended to expand 4:3 to 16:9 but is also labeled with "WideVision". I'm not sure what the overall dimensions are of this lens but judging from the picture it looks like the output side of the lens has a smaller aperture than my lens (again, same as ISCO IIIL) so the optics might be slightly different. In terms of horizontal expansion that small of a difference wont be discernible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts