AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Samsung PN58C6400 that I can get at Costco, and a Samsung PN58C6500 that I would get elsewhere? I thought I read that the C6400 is Canadian, in which case what is it doing in an American Costco in Arizona? Looking at the spec sheet, the only difference I see is width of the display.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
no difference between the two

one's for limited distribution (only a few retailers) and the other for wide distribution (i.e. anyone who wants to sell samsung TV) - both do not have cinema smooth, but apparently you can turn that feature on with some tweaking

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 6500 series is half as thick (1.4 vs 2.8 inches), but does NOT have Samsung Apps, while the 6400 series does. Check out the apps at Samsung's page to see if you want to use the internet connectivity on your television.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm afraid that chart is wrong. I have the 6400 and it is 1.4" thick. There is no difference other than the 6400 is for distribution to the wholesale clubs, and the 6500 for general retail sale.

Only had the 6400 for 2 days, and have only watched standard def cable as I am waiting for the HD box to come from Verizon. Yeah it buzzes a bit but I think this problem is waaaay overstated. So far I think it's a great TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BiPlanePilot is correct as the Samsung website spec's list the thickness w/o the stand is 1.4". Here's the latest chart which still as the incorrect depth for the 6400 but shows Apps for the 6500. (AFLAC duck "huh" voice.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scottkberger, I know I'm a late comer, but saw your post & wanted to reply. I am not sure why these other guys bother replying if they have no clue the answer to your question. The real difference in those to sets is the "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" which has to do with the speed in which the set puts out the image. The Samsung site clearly compares them & shows the 6500's ratio is 5,000,000:1 while the 6400 is 2,000,000:1. They are both great sets & it is possible you may not really notice the difference while watching most shows. They are both 1.4" thick and have great reviews. Interesting some of the made up responses about Wholesale Clubs vs. Retail stores etc, etc. Lol! Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Duramax, I don't believe that is correct either--there is not any difference between the two panels as far as I've read. And as far as made up responses about Wholesale Clubs--why exactly do you think they're made up? If you are a Costco shopper, you know that routinely sets have different numbers for the clubs, for instance the LG 550 is the 540 at Costco.

Perhaps for your first post on the site you should not come in and call others a bunch of idiots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duramax is correct about the Dynamic Contrast Ratio being 5,000,000:1 for the 6500 and 2,000,000:1 for the 6400. However, there is no standard on how to measure DCR. Each manufacturer measures it differently. According to my contact at Samsung, who is a channel manager, there is very little difference between the two. Other than the DCR rating, the other difference is the color, one is black, the other is rose black. The rest of the specs are identical. That being said, he did confirm that the 6400 is distributed by the big box stores (costco, sams club, etc) and the 6500 is distributed by authorized samsung dealers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking about buying this sometime tomorrow but I'm really concerned about the buzzing noise mentioned in an earlier post. My wife & I watch a ton of movies and I'm wondering if the buzzing is noticeable when there are very quiet, often silent scenes in the movie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the samsung PN58C6500TF about 1 month ago from Costco in Kamloops BC. The PN58C6400 was available at the retail outlets Visions and Futureshop. As far as i could tell there was no difference, this is from talking to the salesmen at Visions. I bought the TV from costco because of the 2 year warranty and the no questions asked exchange/return, that costco is famous for. The TV that i bought has no buzzing whatsoever.

I use the TV for all uses, regular cable, HD cable, Blue ray and regular def. movies, PS3 gaming, ect, and must say that the picture is amazing. I replaced a 42" samsung plasma (which was moved to another room, so very happy with the 42" also) with this 58".

I looked at getting an LCD or LED and had the guy at future shop plugging and unplugging a blue ray player into a wide range of these TV's including the plasma. I went with the plasma for a couple reasons. 1. The off angle on the LED/LCD is just not there compared to the plasma. 2. Movies on the LED/LCD look strange in spots, they are just too perfect. At times it looks like the background is separate from the foreground. And lastly, I didn't want any ghosting when playing PS3 games.

I haven't tried any of the internet apps yet as i have a PS3 that does all that but will give it a try once i run a cat5 cable to it.

So to anyone looking at buying this TV, i would say that it is amazing with the setup right out of the box, i am currently looking for some calibration settings. All calibration settings are available in movie mode. There is also a game mode that can be turned on and black level that can be set.

hope this helps,

cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The buzzing sound that I hear about is that through the speakers on the tv itself? I am looking at buying either the 6400 or 6500 within the next month but I will be running all my sound through an Onkyo A/V receiver. Does the buzzing sound go through there as well? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpolarbear /forum/post/19941726

The buzzing sound that I hear about is that through the speakers on the tv itself? I am looking at buying either the 6400 or 6500 within the next month but I will be running all my sound through an Onkyo A/V receiver. Does the buzzing sound go through there as well? Any help would be appreciated.

Buzzing is from the screen (not speakers at all).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I purchased the PN58C6400 two weeks ago and so far could not be happier. I have not done any picture adjustments, other than putting it on the movie setting. Blu ray, HD, sports everything looks great. No motion issues at all. Those who complain must not have a very good HD provider. I have absolutely no issues with buzzing or any other noises. My set was manufactured November 2010. With respect to 24p my Samsung 6500 blu ray player outputs this to the tv and the tv appears to recognize it. The tv info comes up and shows 1080p/24hz, so am too assume the tv properly recognizes and is processing 24p? All in all I am very happy and the size difference between this 58 and my 4 year old 50 panny is reallly amazing. Has anyone got any picture settings that have greatly improved the out of box picture?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@lawste00: where did you purchase your set? I have been looking for one locally, and haven't found a retail store to take a look at it yet.

Thanks-

·
Registered
21 Posts
now on 5th day - ran two days worth of break in slides , although I hear that may not be necessary - keeping contrast and brightness down for now - even so the picture if great -

so - picture so far great

- no buzzing i can detect

- hooked up to computer vga as well- set auto adjusted looks great

- hooked up wii via component swith box along with older dvd player

- ps 3 hooked to hdmi 2

- cisco 8642 cable box on hdmi1

- working on audio sync issue when avr and tv sound both on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a blu ray playing on the samsung and got distracted by company and the menu screen was up for at least two hours. When I turned it off, no trace of temporary burn in, so the anti burn in technology on the tv must work well. Also I have not done any break in and the tv looks great after three weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought one of these about the same time most of you did. It has been a great TV. I have the PN58C6400TF, which I got at Future Shop. It has never been calibrated, and I was just wondering if anyone had come up with any settings inherent to this display that were working for most everyone? I have been trying the calibration disk from another thread, and not having much luck with my bluray players playing nice with it. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts