AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed something in all of my searches I just looked at the"panny 42""part ,Oops now i notice there are different 42" panny model#'s. I kinda just ordered one, The Panasonic PT42PD3-P ,, But many post I see refer to the Panasonic TH42PW-4 Is this a newer generation? . Are these different ? Or are they just different FCC classes ? Help :confused:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Look HERE for a good overview of the differences. The PT is a retail package that includes the consumer version of the display and a stand. It also uses rca type component connections and apparently can't take the optional DVI board. It may also be that certain menus can't be used in the PT/consumer model, but that is unclear to me since I have seen posts that suggest a way to get into them.

Most people on this site seem to have the commercial model, but I suspect that (prior to the DVI issue) the reason was primarily because it tends to be cheaper than the consumer version. Personally I would go with the commercial model because of the DVI upgrade issue, but I doubt you will be unhappy with the consumer model.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
DVI input gives you the ability to connect a PC to the screen and transmit the data between them on a digital path. You have to decide if that's important to you (if you don't know what DVI means, it's probably not going to be that important to you...).

regarding PQ differences, between the 4 and 3 units, there are very marginal differences - so that shouldn't concern you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
In addition to a PC, as DVI catches on we will likely see DVD players and Sat receivers with a DVI output. In fact, while I am not all that educated on this topic, I understand that the next generation of Sat receivers may in fact include a DVI output. Can anyone confirm this?

One point that should be made. I am not aware of any DVI input on any of the current plasmas that is HDCP compatible. This may not be an issue with the rez on the Panny, but it is the reason I like the idea of a replaceable card.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,217 Posts
Go for the 4 unit. It has less false contouring and it is brighter.

The 4 is usually listed for less money.

I got Dell to price match the cheapest price I could find on the Internet and throw in free overnight shipping.

-- Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.