AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the difference is? What does that extra 'S' mean? Some retail stores have DV-563AS. Any help would be greatful, total newbie in this area. Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
waltj2k is right........

I don't know why they even bother putting the "s". It only comes in silver! I wish they had it in black..........

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Putting on my cynical hat.....

It mgiht be there so that places with price matching policies don't have to match price because the model number doesn't match (DV-563A isn't the same "model #" as DV-563AS).

I hope my cynical side is wrong on this!

Regards,

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
Putting on my cynical hat.....

It mgiht be there so that places with price matching policies don't have to match price because the model number doesn't match (DV-563A isn't the same "model #" as DV-563AS).

I hope my cynical side is wrong on this!

Regards,
I don't think that you are being cynical at all. Isn't it known that some of the big box retailers have their own "model numbers" for the same product. I ran into this in the early 90's when the price match policy was really taking off. I found a JVC stereo that I wanted. Store A had a great price. Store B had layaway. I went to store B and told them about the price which must have been substantially less than they were selling them. The manager questioned the price and called store A to confirm. He was in disbelief somewhat and reluctantly gave me the price. So this is a common tactic not cynical.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It may happen, but not in this case, I think. In the US, they're all "S." NONE say S on the front panel. After all, you can see that it's silver. They say it on the box.

Now, some stores may use vagaries in how the model is listed in various ads and catalogs to weasel out of a price match, but that's an ethics (or possibly an IQ) issue. Pioneer, in this case, isn't a participant.

It is certainly true that some large chains with huge buying power often commission their own models of things, available exclusively at their stores. I have a GE toaster that says "manufactured exclusively for Wal-Mart" right on the box. (I'm not proud of it, and I'm working on this issue with my therepy group.)

The thing is, often these really are just slightly different from what the manufacturer makes for the general market. The same DVD player but with the MP3 decoder disabled. The same TV but without the second set of AV jacks. The same toaster but without the bagel setting.

RichC

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by waltj2k
I don't think that you are being cynical at all. Isn't it known that some of the big box retailers have their own "model numbers" for the same product. I ran into this in the early 90's when the price match policy was really taking off.
Yeah American Appliance was famous for doing this. I used to sell for Silo and we had a few big ticket items like that but AA had many. Besides that they were famous for bait and switch. Glad they went out of business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.