AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
View My Old HT Construction Thread @ Cedar Peaks Cinema [Now working on my 2nd Home Cinema in PA]
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried either butter toppings and can give me some advice on which to buy. I am simply looking for a buttery toppings that tastes just like the theater popcorn butter and won't make the popcorn soggy like normal butter. I have heard a lot of good things about the SuperKist Gallon jugs and I can find them online for $13-$15, but O'Dell also makes these more expensive "Original Popcorn Butter" tubs as well. I have just recently purchased the Presto Hot Topper which I will use to spray the butter. Please advise, thanks

Original Popcorn Butter

Odell's Original Popcorn Butter is the same butter that has been used in theaters for over 40 years.
  • Won't make popcorn soggy like stick butter.
  • 100% pure natural concentrated butter (no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or trans-fats).
  • Microwave Approved
  • Does not require refrigeration even after opening.
  • Other Uses: Pan Frying, Drawn Butter, Sauteing, baking, Sauces for Indian Cuisine as Ghee

O'dell's Popcorn butter is Clarified Butter and can be used as clarified butter.

O'dell's Popcorn butter tastes great on seafood, as is sold as Seafood Butter

Price: $17.95 /2 - 10oz. Tubs

Price: $36.00 /6 - 10oz. Tubs (Freezable)

OR

Super-Kist Two Butter Topping Oil

GREAT Tasting Movie Theater Butter Topping. Odell's Super-Kist Two is a soybean based topping oil blended with special butter flavoring. Needs no refrigeration. Low in saturated fats and cholesterol free. Supur Kist Two is the most popular butter flavor topping in the movie theater industry today.

On Sale - Price: $18.95 $15.39 - 1 Gallon Jug

Supur-Kist Two

P.S: Sorry for the extra large size on the Gallon jug, I thought you might want to know how much fat you're consuming....but seriously WOW, that is a lot of fat for one table spoon serving. Is there such a thing as a lighter or healthier butter topping out there?

·
Registered
300 Posts
It is all preference. You can't go wrong with either. It just depends on the taste. The liquid Superkist is going to be cheaper, its not real butter like the tubs.

Most of the theaters, based on the information I received from my concessionaire that I buy from, use the saturated tubs in 5 gallon buckets and then put it in those great big warmers.

I can say that I use the Superkist and can tell you that it taste just like theater popcorn as a topping. But if you are after theater popcorn, it isn't just a matter of just using the topping, it involves the type of popcorn that you plan to use as well.

Most of the theater/commercial popcorn vendors use coconut oil and a seasoning salt in their popcorn when its popped. Then movie goers add these buttery toppings to add to the taste. If you are planning on using plain popcorn, or popcorn with canola oil with these toppings, it will not taste the same as the movies... Just want to caution you!!!

You will find on the internet, probably the same vendor that you found these products, premeasured kits that can be used. You can also find sticks of coconut oil, flavacol (salt seasoning), etc....

Experiment, it's a tasty adventure.... But before you buy over the internet look for a local wholesale restaurant or candy specialty store or concessionaire warehouse, they sell these products at a much better price. I have typically been able to pick up gallons of the O'dell Superkist for like $6/gallon... Look in the yellow pages...

·
Registered
View My Old HT Construction Thread @ Cedar Peaks Cinema [Now working on my 2nd Home Cinema in PA]
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned that I use an 8oz popper with 8oz Country Harvest popcorn pre-measured packets which come with coconut oil. I am getting excellent results and the popcorn already tastes very crispy and tasty with the movie theater butter salt. The only thing missing is the theater-like butter topping, but if you're saying the SuperKist Gallon jugs taste just like the theater butter topping then I will go that route first.

Now I gotta find a local concession shop in Denver who sells it for under $10, that would definitley help, as I hate paying and waiting for shipping.

BTW, are you familiar with the Presto Hot Topper? If so, do you still think the SuperKist oil is a good option? or should I go with the more expensive butter tubs?

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/15557329

I should have mentioned that I use an 8oz popper with 8oz Country Harvest popcorn pre-measured packets which come with coconut oil. I am getting excellent results and the popcorn already tastes very crispy and tasty with the movie theater butter salt. The only thing missing is the theater-like butter topping, but if you're saying the SuperKist Gallon jugs taste just like the theater butter topping then I will go that route first.

Now I gotta find a local concession shop in Denver who sells it for under $10, that would definitley help, as I hate paying and waiting for shipping.

BTW, are you familiar with the Presto Hot Topper? If so, do you still think the SuperKist oil is a good option? or should I go with the more expensive butter tubs?

Thanks for the advice

If you are looking at cost, then Superkist is the better option... It will go much further...

I have seen the Presto Butter Guns... they don't hold much more than a stick of butter and since you indicate that you have a 8 oz machine, you are popping a lot of popcorn. I have a 4oz machine, I can imagine how much you are making at a time.

IMHO, I think you will be refilling that gun quite a bit depending on how many people you are serving. But if you really want that buttery taste and want the real thing, you could put the tubbed products in their applicator. It's just like butter, just have to scoop it out and put it in. Not as neat as a stick of butter however....

As for the Superkist bottle warmers, the bottles are quite large, are easier to refill, don't take long to warm up, without much mess... Actually, you don't even need one of the warming baths, just find a squeeze bottle, fill it, then microwave... But if you have a party, the water baths work well, except the area gets a little wet from taking the bottle out so much. IMHO...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to bring this back, but I am still on the fence on which one is better, and now I added Lou Ana's Buttery Topping to the mix since it seems to be a favorite. I have an 8oz Popcorn machine, and I am getting excellent quality popcorn using the Country Harvest Pre-measured 8oz Packets and flavored salt seasonings. The only thing I am missing is the addition of the classic movie theater buttery topping flavor. I have Presto Hot Topper and I can also use some microwavable squeeze bottles to apply the butter topping.

I am hoping to get a lot more responses this time. I know a lot of us on AVS have our own popcorn machines, and most of us like butter topping. So could you please share your preferences? I am able to get the Lou Ana buttery topping gallon for $18 locally, I have not been able to source the O'Dell brand locally though, but I would be willing to buy it online and pay shipping if you think one is better than the other. Here is the list, please feel free to add additional brands you have tried. I am looking for the classic movie theater buttery topping flavor.

O'Dell's Butter Tub:

Odell's Original Popcorn Butter is the same butter that has been used in theaters for over 40 years. Won't make popcorn soggy like stick butter. 100% pure natural concentrated butter (no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or trans-fats). Microwave Approved. Does not require refrigeration even after opening. Other Uses: Pan Frying, Drawn Butter, Sauteing, Baking, Sauces for Indian Cuisine as Ghee

Lou Anna's Buttery Topping:

One Gallon jug - Lou Ana's Premium Buttery Topping is rich in flavor, and has no seperation. The ingredients primarily include: Soybean Oil, Butter Flavoring, Beta Carotene, TBHQ and Citric acid to retard Oxidation.

O'Dell's Supur-Kist Two:

1 gallon jug - GREAT Tasting Movie Theater Butter Topping. Odell's Super-Kist Two is a soybean based topping oil blended with special butter flavoring. Needs no refrigeration. Low in saturated fats and cholesterol free. Supur Kist Two is the most popular butter flavor topping in the movie theater industry today.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently went through this exact process. I ended up choosing Super Kist Two with the warming kit. It was the right decision for me - perfect movie theater popcorn with butter.

My set-up:

Benchmark 6 oz. Metropolitan with stand (Costco)

MegaPop 6 oz. popcorn (Stargate)

Super Kist Two (Stargate)

Super Kist Two warmer (Stargate)

85 oz. Popcorn Butter bags (Stargate)

170 oz. Popcorn Butter bags (Stargate)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike potato /forum/post/16004115

I recently went through this exact process. I ended up choosing Super Kist Two with the warming kit. It was the right decision for me - perfect movie theater popcorn with butter.

My set-up:

Benchmark 6 oz. Metropolitan with stand (Costco)

MegaPop 6 oz. popcorn (Stargate)

Super Kist Two (Stargate)

Super Kist Two warmer (Stargate)

85 oz. Popcorn Butter bags (Stargate)

170 oz. Popcorn Butter bags (Stargate)

Did you try the other O'Dell butter (in tubs) or the Lou Ana before you made your decision? or was the SupurKist Two your first choice and you just happened to like it and did not want to try the other two?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Why not just make the clarified butter yourself?

Clarified butter is really just melted butter with the milk solids (or whatever) skimmed off. It's the solids that make the popcorn soggy.

Seems like it would be really cheap.

+1 for the SupurKist 2. I like it.

I buy online. It's not really that expensive, and a gallon go a long long way....

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/16004684

Did you try the other O'Dell butter (in tubs) or the Lou Ana before you made your decision? or was the SupurKist Two your first choice and you just happened to like it and did not want to try the other two?

I tried the tub of butter but not Lou Ana. I used a Starbucks caramel dispenser and my microwave but it took 3 attempts to get the right temperature. Then the butter got cold relatively quickly and had to be reheated for some of my guests. The flavor was very good but way too much work IMHO. On the popcorn, the Supur Kist Two is very similar in taste to the tub of butter but the application, consistency, and cost made it a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
There's a really big topping thread here on AVS, I do think it's worthwhile to find it and read it.

My favorite by far is still the Odell's Original Butter listed above. Tastes like what you get at the theater. I also like the gallon topping that Sam's Club sometimes carry for $5, no shipping!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/16014006

There's a really big topping thread here on AVS, I do think it's worthwhile to find it and read it.

My favorite by far is still the Odell's Original Butter listed above. Tastes like what you get at the theater. I also like the gallon topping that Sam's Club sometimes carry for $5, no shipping!

There is an old archived butter topping poll thread, where most favored the Lou Ana but that was almost 4 years ago. I couldnt find a dedicated butter topping thread, if you have the link could you post it please?

I dont have a Sam's Club or Costco membership but I heard that they both sell butter topping gallons for very cheap, how did the $5 Sam's club gallon taste in comparison to O'Dell's original butter topping tubs? And seeing how the O'Dell 10oz tubs are more expensive that Sam's Club gallon (equivelant of 120 floz), do you still think the O'Dell tub butter topping taste better than Sam's, enough to warrant spending twice the cost for less than 1/4th the amount? I am just trying to guage your opinion on taste/value.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Well, the odells tastes far superior than any non-butter topping that i've tried. The SAMs club one is ok, but very cheap! I've also tried lou ann and it's fine.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/16019451

Well, the odells tastes far superior than any non-butter topping that i've tried. The SAMs club one is ok, but very cheap! I've also tried lou ann and it's fine.

It sounds like you liked O'Dells original butter topping tub over anything else you have tried. Maybe I should give it a try

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/16019451

It sounds like you liked O'Dells original butter topping tub over anything else you have tried. Maybe I should give it a try.

Just to confirm, this is the topping you like? I have a Presto Hot Topper and this would work great in it.

Original Popcorn Butter

Odell's Original Popcorn Butter is the same butter that has been used in theaters for over 40 years.
  • Won't make popcorn soggy like stick butter.
  • 100% pure natural concentrated butter (no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or trans-fats).
  • Microwave Approved
  • Does not require refrigeration even after opening.
  • Other Uses: Pan Frying, Drawn Butter, Sauteing, baking, Sauces for Indian Cuisine as Ghee

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
But have you done double blind testing? How can we really make much of all this information if we do not have objective testing and benchmarks to make measurements to. What equipment are you using to calibrate your measuring devices in application of the product?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/16020415

But have you done double blind testing? How can we really make much of all this information if we do not have objective testing and benchmarks to make measurements to. What equipment are you using to calibrate your measuring devices in application of the product?

huh? calibrating a butter topping measuring device? I think you might be taking it a little to far
In case you you were just joking around...you got me!

Your taste buds are the best judge! Yes this is all subjective....but we're only talking about popcorn butter topping...not a $5000 projector. I am going to try Odell's Original Butter Topping tub, and if I dont like it I will move on to Lou Ana or O'Dells SupurKist

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Sorry. I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/16022226

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

haha, for a minute I thought I was in the RS20 calibration thread

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/16016929

There is an old archived butter topping poll thread, where most favored the Lou Ana but that was almost 4 years ago. I couldnt find a dedicated butter topping thread, if you have the link could you post it please?

Try this:

Buttery topping poll

1 - 20 of 29 Posts