AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a Tosh A2 and A3? I will be hooking it up to a Pioneer 1018, which run run it on a Sammy T4661F. Please lemme know, help me decide which will be better!

·
Registered
471 Posts
A2 is bigger, heavier, and sturdier. It has far more components inside as it is using older technology.

On firmware 4.0, both players are about the same. Before 4.0, certain A3's would glitch on some discs.

If using optical for audio, the A2 has better sound as it converts to a higher bitrate DTS track while the A3 converts to a lower bitrate Dolby Digital track.

If they were the same price, I would get probably get the A2. Otherwise, I would get whichever one was cheaper.

·
Registered
932 Posts
JMO, but the A2 has not only been a great HD DVD player but it has been one of the best pieces of electronics that I have ever owned. I have the A3 and after the firmware updates (4.0, like the other poster said) it has been nice but I have NEVER had one problem with the A2. It was worth the $450 I paid for it new.

FYI...

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER /forum/post/15625297

JMO, but the A2 has not only been a great HD DVD player but it has been one of the best pieces of electronics that I have ever owned. I have the A3 and after the firmware updates (4.0, like the other poster said) it has been nice but I have NEVER had one problem with the A2. It was worth the $450 I paid for it new.

FYI...

So you guys would recommend the A2/A20 over the A3/A30?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
471 Posts
I recommend the A2 over the A3 no matter what.

I would take the A30 over the A20 if the A30 was using firmware 4.0. It also can be modded to bitstream all lossy formats.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My experience has been the opposite from most here. My A2 was a little "buggy" and bit the bullet after installing Firmware 3.0. Toshiba replaced it under warranty and sent me an A3 that has functioned flawlessly, especially under Firmware 4.0.

I'll agree that the A2 is a better built unit and I like the disc drawer on the left instead of the right as on the A3. I really liked that the A2 downconverted hi-rez audio to DTS 1.5mbps over toslink whereas the A3 only does DD 640kbps.

But, I was lucky to find a mint, used A1 that is now my main HD DVD player and because of its 5.1 analog outputs, I can now listen to Dolby TrueHD! Now my A3 is packed away in storage as a back-up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A2 and A20 is more dependable for me. I sold all my third gens, they were all buggy as heck. I have 2 XA2's that rule. An A20 and A2 as backups in Mr. Closet.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just my .02...I've had my A2 for nearly 2 years. It was my first HD DVD player. It eats every disk I throw at it. The same goes for my XA2. When I had the A35, I had constant issues with it not playing a disk if it had the slightest scratch on it. I would then go to either my A2 or XA2 and the disk would work fine.

From hanging around this forum all this time it seems that all third gen players have this little irritant. I can't say if Tosh fixed it via firmware, since I dumped the 35 after two weeks. As another poster referenced, I also prefer DTS over DD downconvert over optical, since the AVR that my A2 is connected to does not have HDMI.

YMMV...Will

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser /forum/post/15626782

I recommend the A2 over the A3 no matter what.

I would take the A30 over the A20 if the A30 was using firmware 4.0. It also can be modded to bitstream all lossy formats.

What is this mod you speak of? I have the A3, and was not aware of this.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15791891

What is this mod you speak of? I have the A3, and was not aware of this.

He said the A30 can be modded to bitstream, not your A3.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15792200

He said the A30 can be modded to bitstream, not your A3.

I've got an A30... is this a hard mod, or some form of software? Also, I'm assuming this is to bitstream DD/DTS, but still decode TrueHD? PM me if you'd be so kind!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts