AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A naive newbie question that hasn't been answered by thoroughly searching the Internet (and avsforum):

I have some (6!) Monster Video 2 composite cables (1 m). Is it prudent to be cheap and use these as component video cables?

Is there some real fundamental difference, such as required frequency response, impedance, etc.? Are they made differently? Especially at the same price range - if you compare say Monster Video 2 composite vs. Monster Video 2 component are they the same cable just with different colors?

Or is it some marketing mumbo-jumbo that is trying to obsolete all my precious composite cables :)

Thanks for your kind advice!

FYI these would be used to connect a Panny LCD RPTV and a Sony DVD player.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A component cable is a shielded cable similar to the cable that the cable company uses. A composite cable is not shielded.

A shielded cable is more important for a long cable runs. It probably doesn't make alot of signal difference if it's only a few feet although I did notice a small improvement with my setup.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
They are both coax cables. Use the composite cables for your component cables and they will work fine.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
A composite cable and component cables should be the same.

Keep in mind, a composite cable is one cable (yellow). Sometimes a composite cable is 'bundled' with audio cables (red/white) which are usually not contructed for video.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Ian is incorrect.

Composite and component video cables are in essence 75ohm coaxial video cables. Period. As with any video cable, build quality can vary, as well as shielding quality, etc.

Any quality built 75ohm shielded video cable can be used in any video application, bundled with multiple cables for s-video, component, the various RGB, etc, as well as being used for digital audio coax, and of course, they can be used in analog audio applications (however, analog audio cables may not (and need not be)necessarily be 75ohm, so should not be used for video or you will suffer ghosting and such because of a possible impedance mismatch).

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisWiggles
Ian is incorrect.
So was I. :)

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
you were? You seemed fairly correct, though brief. Component and composite cables are in essence the same thing, component just comes with 3. Of course, cable quality can and will vary widely.

Bundled A/V cables actually tend to use all the same cabling, it wouldn't surprise me if they were all 75ohm cable and all the same(easier to build a whole lot of the same stuff) but certainly I wouldn't make that assumption.

In any case, I recommend you buy froma manufacturer who publishes good specs on their cabling. Canare/belden pro cabling is excellent, and is available custom from many places, such as the well-regarded bluejeanscable.com

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Doh!

My bad!

My eyes saw 'incorrect', but what's left of my brain only saw 'correct'!

Apprarently.... I was incorrect in that instance! Sorry! ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Does this mean I have to write composite 100 times?

composite composite composite composite composite composite composite

composite composite composite composite composite composite composite

composite composite composite composite composite composite composite...

.........composite composite composite composite composite composite composite

composite composite composite composite composite composite composite and finally composite....Now I'm bored!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your inputs, folks.

While my wallet is still ringing from the recent acquisition of my TV, I will stick to my old monster video 2 composite cables. I assume that these will be better than the $10 generic brand component cable from Radio Shack!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Component video comes in different scan rates ranging from 480i to 1080p. Composite video comes in just one scan rate, 480i (also 576i if we wnat to consider PAL). The bandwidth of the composite signal from a DVD player should the same as for the Y part of interlaced component video from that player, the Pb and Pr signals have half the bandwidth. Component cables need more bandwidth only when carrying video above 480i. Thus we have different grades of cable for regular TV, HDTV, etc. Except you can't tell the grade of the cable except by believing the packaging or some person or some magazine article, or by taking the cable out and measuring it with test equipment.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Theoretical

Assuming a video cable (component or composite) is quality coax and good construction, there is no difference and have adequate bandwidth and shielding for 480p and greater signals.

As an example:

If the cables are similar to RG6, they have the capability to carry bandwidths into the GHz range.

IMO... (avg. 1 meter cable)

Buy an 'inexpensive' cable(s), you're probably losing picture quality.(

·
Registered
201 Posts
I need to choose between a 20' composite and a 20' s-video cable. Supposedly s-video will produce better results but the s-video cable is 2.5 times the prices of the composite. Anyone have any experience that would indicate the upgrade is worthwhile?

·
Registered
837 Posts
BHendershot,

The difference between composite video and S-Video is probably the most dramatic difference you'll ever see in a video upgrade. By all means get the S-Video cable.

You might not be able to see the difference between s-video and component cables, but you'll definitely see it if you ditch the composite connection.

Mojo

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Morris.

This is for a front projector. I'm going to run component cables for my DVD player and S-video for TV using a VCRs tuner.

There seems to be quite a difference in the prices of the S-Video cables. I need a 15' to 20' run so I should probably invest in a good one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.