AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen most RG6 quad cabling listing a sweep frequency rate of up to 1 Ghz. I see Monster sells RG6 quad with up to a 2 Ghz sweep frequency rate. They state it is better for satellite. Can anyone lend credibility to this? Would it really benefit HDTV from satellite? Would the signal integrity be that much better?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Satellite signals are above 1 Gigahertz so they attenuate must faster than cable or other frequencies below 1 Gig. Cables don't have a cut off frequency like splitters and other passive devices, so RG6 will carry signals above 1 Gig. Unless it's not RG6, I don't see how a cable can be made to carry a satellte signal better. Sounds like marketing talk to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I remember correctly the sweep frequency being larger just means that the attenuation characteristics are tested over a larger frequency range. In other words you can have a lower attenuation number if you test in a lower range. It's kind of like how you measure distortion on an amp over a single frequency rather than a range of freqencies. When you do it that way you can inflate your specs to make your distortion look lower. Going back to the cable, if you have a low attenuation number over a larger and higher frequency range then I would assume that would be better.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Actually the loss of frequency depends on 2-things gauge of wire and velocity of propagation. The higher the VOP and the lower the gauge of wire the better the attenuation is at higher frequency. Cableman this why if you noticed Trilogy cable with MC-2 has the fused disc instead of foam center and gets better loss with the same size cable i,e, .500 P3 versus .500 MC-2. I hope this makes sense to the rest of everyone out there but that is an idea of the breakdown. But he is right cable will run the out to frequency better than the average rated splitter or drop-amp.

hc*t*lb*c

·
Registered
283 Posts
Attenuation characteristics are also related to capacitance. Capacitance increases at higher frequencies so attenuation will increase as frequency rises unless a higher quality dielectric is used. The better the dielectric properties the higher the VOP, the lower the capacitance and the lower the attenuation. Most RG6 is rated up to 2.2 GHz, so again I would assume that a cable that is sweep tested to only 1 GHz may be an attempt to make the attenuation numbers look better.

So again, two cables both with the same attenuation properties, but one cable is tested to a higher frequency, I would assume the one that is tested to the higher frequency would be better as it would more likely be a more accurate representation of attenuation for satellite use, and also an indication of a better quality dielectric.

Wouldn't that be correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I think this forum is great. Thanks. I got Belden 1189A, which I think they just renamed 131189A. I am in the process of rewiring my house now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.