AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a dumb question, but is there a difference in speaker wire that is in the wall?

What I mean, is do I need to buy special wire if I am running it in my walls. I am building and want to pre-wire? Looking for good wire that is economical. Not the best, but not the worst either.

Please help a D.A.!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think it needs to be either CL2 or CL3 rated for in-wall use. Usually will be a non-transparent jacket (grey or white or black, etc.). Most wire with see-through jackets is not in-wall rated. Then just decide what gauge you need.

Although some will argue, bulk wire from the big box stores (or "cheap" on-line sources) will be just fine. No need to spend extra for anything fancy.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/0

The stuff at home depot is fine

Ummmmm.... no it's not (if you are talking about the clear jacket stuff.... I haven't seen any CL-3 speaker wire at HD). Any speaker wire run "in-wall" MUST be CL-3 rated. Some insurance companies will deny a TOTAL claim if there is a fire and improper wire was used in the wall. Even if the improper wire was not the cause of the fire.

CL-3 wire is not that much more expensive than regular speaker wire. Do yourself a favor and use the right stuff.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/0

Ummmmm.... no it's not (if you are talking about the clear jacket stuff.... I haven't seen any CL-3 speaker wire at HD)

Then you need to find a better Home Depot

Also read my whole post where I said it must be rated for in-wall use and don't just quote the part of my post that makes me look like I don't know what I am talking about

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the CL3 wire with the grey insulation is usually riser wire, safe to go between floors. I got a roll of 100' clear 16/2 wire packed by Magnavox ($20.00 at OSH). A label on the package said it was CL2. Some zip cord speaker wire at Radio Shack are approved for in wall use, and others are not. Just by looking at the wire I cannot tell which is which.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev /forum/post/0

Then you need to find a better Home Depot

Also read my whole post where I said it must be rated for in-wall use and don't just quote the part of my post that makes me look like I don't know what I am talking about

No need to get your panties in a snit davdev.... No offense was intended sir. But, IF you actually read MY post.... I said that:
Quote:
no it's not (if you are talking about the clear jacket stuff.... I haven't seen any CL-3 speaker wire at HD).

I thought that was abundently CLEAR (pun intended
).

Life is too short man to get all worked up over nothing. Take a chill pill, spin up your favorite CD and RELAX....

·
Registered
60 Posts
to quadriverfalls: I read on the bluejean site that cl2 is OK for in wall use: "General installation of wiring, including installation inside of walls, is governed by 725.61(E), the principal features of which, for our purposes, are:

(1) CL2 and CL3 are always permitted;..." I ran CL2, thinking it was OK. Is cl3 really needed for in wall? Thanks

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel1997 /forum/post/0

to quadriverfalls: I read on the bluejean site that cl2 is OK for in wall use: "General installation of wiring, including installation inside of walls, is governed by 725.61(E), the principal features of which, for our purposes, are:

(1) CL2 and CL3 are always permitted;..." I ran CL2, thinking it was OK. Is cl3 really needed for in wall? Thanks

No.... you are FINE with CL-2. CL-3 is just able to handle more VOLTS which has no real bearing on speaker wire. You can use either one for speaker wire. The MAIN thing about CL rated wire, is it far less flammable than regular wire.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/0

Ummmmm.... no it's not (if you are talking about the clear jacket stuff.... I haven't seen any CL-3 speaker wire at HD). Any speaker wire run "in-wall" MUST be CL-3 rated. Some insurance companies will deny a TOTAL claim if there is a fire and improper wire was used in the wall. Even if the improper wire was not the cause of the fire.

I bought a 500' spool of 2-12 CL3R cable at Home Depot about a month ago. Works great!

[EDIT: This is not sold in the section with the 'stereo wires' or video cables. It is sold with the control and general-purpose wire on spools. You can generally buy it by the foot, as well.]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.