AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bee doing some searching, and I can't seem to nail down the real differences between these two receivers. I know there must be something other than the I-Link capability on the 55.

So can someone tell me what the differences are, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are the differences I can find

I-Link

USB

RS 232 Ports

LCD on Remote

Are there any others. I'm finding that the price difference is about 300 dollars.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think that's it. To me it wasn't worth $300 more. Well, actually the 53TX was about the most I could afford to spend. I got the 53TX and felt is was a good deal - it's the same as the 55TX minus some stuff I won't use.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
These are the differences I can find

I-Link

USB

RS 232 Ports

LCD on Remote

Are there any others. I'm finding that the price difference is about 300 dollars.
I think you got them all...out of those the only ones that matter are ilink (if you go that route) and lcd remote. The remote for the 53tx is my perfect remote except that it doesn't light up. It is the first time I actually have a learning remote that runs everything I own...set up like my dish network, with the reciever and tv punch through sections, very nice. I am the kind of guy that likes all real all accessable buttons...

55txi looks like THE option for easy connections for dvd-a however, so remember that. 53tx can still do it using the 6 analog cables, but not as nice

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I would like the iLink, but it's hard for me to justify paying another $300 for it. Also the 55txi's street price is pretty close to the Rotel 1055 that I had previously decided was too expensive.

The only other possible difference I know of between the 55txi and 53tx are the reports of better "build quality" or maybe more accurately improved internal design of the 55txi. There were rumors of this even before these receivers were introduced. The Pioneer website lists "Dual Layered Chassis" as a feature of the 55txi but not the 53tx. I'm not sure what that means.

Someone reported the other day of a foreign (German maybe) review that noted a better internal design/build quality with the 55txi and the possibility that there was an associated sonic improvement. Also, one knowledgeable AVS member described the internal design of the 55txi as "elegant" after seeing it topless at CEDIA. He also implied that it was near the top in build quality among mass market receivers. I don't know that he had a 53tx to compare it with though.

Of course, most of us leave the covers on our receivers so unless it improves the sound or increases the reliability, the elegance may be lost on the majority of us. I've decided to wait for CES in January to see if Denon comes out with a auto room EQ feature on the 3804. If not, I'll probably get the 53tx or a 45tx if I can find one.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ptaaty
55txi looks like THE option for easy connections for dvd-a however, so remember that.
Easy connection option to other pioneer players right?

Well I have no intention of getting a pioneer dvd player so that option would be worthless to me woulnt' it? Also will I-Link transfer SACD? If not, again it wouln't be worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harmon
I've decided to wait for CES in January to see if Denon comes out with a auto room EQ feature on the 3804. If not, I'll probably get the 53tx or a 45tx if I can find one.
I will be waiting for CES as well. I am especially interested in the Denon 3804 (if that is the number they use). The only problem is that it is as expensive as the 55tx. I want something that costs what the 53tx does. So I could look at the 2803. I wonder if they will release an upgraded version of that too. I thought the 2803 was fairly new though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to own a 45TX, and the best way I know to describe the 55TXi is that it's a 45TX with ilink. Everything else about the 55 looks just like the 45TX.

By contrast, the 53TX is missing RS232, USB, PHONO and the LCD remote.

Since I don't plan on using the USB, PHONO or ilink, and since I don't believe that Pioneer will ever do anything meaningful with the RS232 (like provide firmware upgrades to PLIIx), I just went with the 53TX to replace a 45TX that couldn't get repaired.

It's still in the box, but that will change in about 4 hours when I get home from work. After a quick MCACC setup, I'll know whether I can tell any difference in sound between the 45TX and the 53TX. Based on specs, it looks like most of the internals are identical between the two (and the same as the 55TXi, too).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes it does have a phono input. I bought the 53tx and have not been dissapointed in the least. The auto setup feature is amazing. It truly tuned my setup in a way that Digital Essentials and my Radio Shack Decibel Reader could never have. Every I talked to about the 53tx and the 55 said the differences are only the ones listed. There is no sound differences. That is what they said at Magnolia HiFi and I tend to trust them pretty well. Plus, why would they recommend the lower priced model. You will love the unit. I do wish the remote was backlit, but you can't have everything.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i have the 55txi.....

my remote is backlit.......

i am actually using it only as a preamp..... i have separate power amplifiers powering my speakers..... to get all of these preamp features in a dedicated preamp you would have to spend at least $3,000!

i use the surround back speaker outs to run speakers in a different room....

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptaaty

55txi looks like THE option for easy connections for dvd-a however, so remember that. 53tx can still do it using the 6 analog cables, but not as nice
True, and if one 'Never" plans on using i.Link then 53TX is the way to go.

But remember, for those who want to use the 6 analog inputs for DVD-Audio and SACD, the MCACC function will not work. I use i.Link with the 47Ai for DVD-Audio/SACD and it's oustanding! I would not want to sacrafice MCACC for these High Rez formats, but then again that's why I purchased the 55TXi. Even if I were not to get a i.Link player now, I decided I wanted the i.Link cabability for the future. After all what's the use of having the MCACC feature if you can't use it in the future high rez formats.

But again, some are not concerned with this, I was! Better $300 now, than another $1000 later! ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
240 Posts
There's yet another new variant of the VSX-45TX that one may want to consider. This one is not touted as an Elite, just the VSX-2012 of the lower Pioneer line. I've been interested in this model since I first heard of it. There is a post HERE that discusses some aspects of the VSX-2012.

More recently, I've obtained a copy of the "operating instructions" for this model and notice that it compares page-for-page (and nearly word-for-word) with that for the 45TX. Most importantly, the features and specs including the weight are identical and like the 45TX, it has USB, RS-232 and a lighted remote.

This may be a good choice since the street price is about the same as that of the 53TX and you get more except the Elite badge. However, other than the press release on the same date as that of the 53/55 Elite models, Pioneer hasn't volunteered much info on this model.

One word of warning; the operating instructions don't mention how the back surround amps can be configured to bi-amp the front speakers. I'm still waiting for Pioneer to tell me how to do this. Another feature: sound delay (for lip-sinc issues) as found on the 53/55/49 models doesn't seem to be present on the 2012.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.