Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I'm wondering if there are any differences between the two? I ask because I'm unable to get any sound out from my system when using DirectSound out, but I'm able to do it with WaveOut. I'm testing this with Winamp 2.81 with the out_ds.dll and out_wave.dll output plugins. Unfortunately, all video files seem to be going through DirectSound out(I would think so) and hence I'm not able to get any sound. Is there a way to route it to waveout instead?

btw my system is as follows(the important bits):

Athlon T-bird 1.5GHz

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with latest 0.31 beta drivers

Windows 2000 Pro SP3

DX9.0a

·
Registered
9 Posts
They are "api"s ("application program interface"s) to sound hardware.

If you believe the hype, directsound has 'better latency' whereas waveout tends to have greater compatability coverage.

Therefore, you probably want to prefer directsound over waveout for apps that let you choose. You may need to install latest drivers.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The dxdiag program that comes with DirectX may help you troubleshoot your DirectSound problem.

Does the correct sound device show up in the device tab of the DirectSound output plugin settings?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
helzerr, I have 2 sound tabs, Sound 1 and Sound 2. In Sound 1, the Delta AP S/PDIF device is detected. In Sound 2, the Delta AP Multichannel device is detected

PhoenixF15E, I'm still on Winamp 2.81, are there any compelling reasons to upgrade to 2.91? I've recently tried QCD player and found that its sound quality is better than Winamp w/MAD input plugin and SSRC output plugin, but I haven't compared it with the ASIO plugin. I suppose if both were on ASIO, there shouldn't be any differences rite?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks helzerr. I got it to work after uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, reinstalling the drivers, and rebooting. At first, even after doing that, I didn't get anything, and I was dejected, thinking it still wouldn't work. then I noticed that the volume control sliders were at minimum...doh!

However, there's still one peculiarity. While playing mp3s with the waveOut or DS out output plugins, the mixer faders are showing signals in both "Monitor Mixer" and "WaveOut S/PDIF". However, while playing video files, the signals are at "Monitor Mixer" and "WavOut 1/2", which is the analog output. Is there anyway to route it to "WavOut S/PDIF" as well?

Here's a picture of the monitor mixer while playing mp3s:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And here's a picture of it while playing a video file(ogg vorbis audio, but tried it with an mpeg as well, same results)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Maybe you need to change your default sound device to WaveOut S/PDIF (Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices, Audio tab, Sound playback default device list).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, that's set as Delta AP S/PDIF by default. Otherwise, the mp3s wouldn't be playing through the S/PDIF out. I'm just wondering why it should be any different for video files since they both go through DirectSound out.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What are you playing the video files with? Do you hear the sound in the videos via S/PDIF even though they show that they are playing out WaveOut 1/2?

Winamp will use whatever output device is selected in the output plugin. Most other Windows applications are limited to playing through whatever default device is selected in control panel (not the M-Audio mixer).

Haw is the Patchbay/Router page configured, is S/PDIF out set to WaveOut S/PDIF of Monitor Mixer?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm playing all my video content(DVDs, files) with ZoomPlayer 2.9. Anyway, all the testing I've done thus far is remotely from my computer in my room. I'm able to see all the screen output, but since my audio system isn't turned on, I can't hear anything.

However, thus far the monitor mixer hasn't lied to me, if it says that there's a signal in the wavOut 1/2(analog) then there probably is... :)

The HW Out 1/2 and HW Out S/PDIF are set to WavOut 1/2 and WavOut S/PDIF respectively, but changing it to Monitor Mixer doesn't cause any changes. I'm not really sure as to the function of "monitor mixer", I guess its just a software mixer to allow changing of volume, pan, etc?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you can't convince Zoom to play the audio via S/PDIF Out, you could switch H/W Out S/PDIF from WaveOut S/PDIF to Monitor Mixer an then you can get sound from WaveOut 1/2 out the S/PDIF.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmn, ok, I'll try that later and see if it works. However, wouldn't that be subjecting the audio to the DAC(to HW Out 1/2) and then back the ADC(to S/PDIF)?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Goi,

Sorry for my slightly off topic post earlier. I sent mine the same time Ron sent his. He was directly answering your particular question.

Esben posted a thread about Winamp 2.90 here . One of the biggest differences is the addition of a media library. I found Winamp kind of useless without it.

I wanted to use Winamp instead of MusicMatch because I could use kernel streaming (which apparently no longer works) and ASIO, which seemed to sound better to me. Winamp 2.91 was released a day or two ago and fixes a few bugs. I've installed it with the ASIO plug-in and it sounds great on my Revo.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just downloaded and installed 2.91 and so far haven't found any differences yet other than the slightly different skin.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixF15E
I wanted to use Winamp instead of MusicMatch because I could use kernel streaming (which apparently no longer works) and ASIO, which seemed to sound better to me.
The KS plug-in still works, but not with streaming media. Nullsoft has added DRM'esq limits designed to prevent you from saving streams to disc. Maybe there is a bug in the KS output plug-in that incorrectly indicates that it is a disc writing plug-in? Or maybe Winamp only trusts its own output plug-ins for streaming playback. All I know is that it is stupid, there are other utilities designed expressly to capture streams, I don't need Winamp for that.

This act of hostility on the part of Nullsoft has made me switch to foobar2000 as my main player. So long, lama...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.