Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to get a JVC I-DLA projector to replace my outdated Sony VPH-1292Q. From what I have read hear the D-ILA is the best out of LCD, DLP and D-ILA.

The one I am looking at is the DLA-G15, which lists for $13K. However JVC has two other projectors.

First is the DLA-G150HT, which they bill as optimized for home theatre. This is $18K, some $5K more. Is it worth the extra? What does it offer that the DLA-G15 does not?

And then they have the DLA-DS1U, which is $4K cheaper at $9K. What does this lack that the DLA-G15 has?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The G-15 DILA projector is still the best JVC home theater projector available! The 150HT is still not yet ready for prime time and has had its introduction pushed back until after January of '02. The DLA-1U uses a short arc Halogen based lamp which is not as good an option as the Xenon based products. The color temperature will drift with time (lose a significant amount of Red).

You should go for a G15 now and get it calibrated and have a projector that will cost less than the 150HT and have a picture that will be at least as good with respect to contrast ratio and better gamma calibration than the factory is capable of presently. The only significant benefits of the new projectors are that they will offer zone shading correction which when implemented will provide for completely uniform flat field response. The scaler is reportedly totally revamped and offers much better performance than before. The fan noise level has also been substantially reduced on the 150HT but for a lot less than $5,000.00 you can have the nicest hushbox in the world made and get similar imporvements db wise.

The scaler is of little importance to you if you use an external high quality product or an HTPC and by-pass this circuit altogether.

[This message has been edited by ghibliss (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ghibliss,

Thanks a ton for your advice!

So I will be looking for the G-15.

You say that one needs to get it calibrated. What exactly do you mean by that? How does one calibrate it?

Also the list price is $12,995. But what is the street price for the G-15?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Leica Man,

There are a few people that calibrate D-ILA projectors.

Cliff calibrates many of the D-ILAs sold by AVS.

Then there is William Phelps of Palo Alto, for those

in his area of the country.

Then there's the DILARD software - with a colorimeter, it

and your HTPC can do a calibration.

Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Leica Man:
Also the list price is $12,995. But what is the street price for the G-15?
I picked mine up for ~$9,500, but the dealer informed me that JVC had announced a $1,000 dealer price increase on it the day after I sent my payment. I'm not sure how this will affect the street price going forward.

[This message has been edited by tlum (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have heard from several reliable sources that the DLA-G150HT will not ship until January yet one internet site projectorpeople.com show it as available. Projectorcentral.com also have it listed as being shipped now. Any idea of the facts?

Tom

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Street prices on the G15 are less than $10k. The 150HT will be released tentatively in January. Not every dealer for the G15 will be selling the 150HT. As this unit is designed for HT use, there is going to be a special dealer network. Also, the 150HT will be sold right around retail and there will be no real discounting. The G15 calibrated is the D-ila of choice right now, and in my opinion, for some time to come.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.