AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go with rotel for my paradigm setup 60's, 40's studio cc , adp's. Now my question will there be much difference between these 2 amps. 125x5 or 200x5. If I'm not blasting at ridiculous levels will there even be a difference? It will be replacing my Sony 4es amps but i will still be using it as my pre/pro for now. I hoping there will be a pretty big difference between the rotel's and my sony, I can get the 1095 for $2700 cdn tax in, and the 1075 for about $2000 tax in cdn, probably less though. The main reason i ask is I don't want to be screwed when i upgrade my speakers eventually, then needing a more powerful amp. It will be used for mainly for HT but also for music when i fell the need. I would also be willing to buy online in Canada but I cant find any dealers with a reasonable deal buying from the states is too much of a hassle and you get screwed as soon as it comes over the boarder. Any suggestions? thanks!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yes, there should be a difference. In my experience, within a given brand, the higher watt amp will always play better at both lower volumes (not have to crank the speakers as much to bring them to life). And the higher watt amp will also have more of a sense of realism. Add to that the better components likely used in the higher end amp, and the difference should not be subtle.

Also, keep in mind that there are many good speakers out there that crave 200W or better to make them sound their best - and you may find yourself setting up your equipment in a larger room someday. The 1095 is supposed to be an outstanding amp for the money - go for it if you can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a "high-end" audio system (Mark Levinson) including a

335 power amp (500 W/Chan @ 4 ohms) with Magnepan 1.6QR

speakers. I recently installed a surround sound system with

three pairs of MMG-W speakers which are moderately power

hungry, like most Magnepans. I installed a Rotel RMB-1075 amp

for the system and have been very pleased with its performance.

Sure, it's not a Levinson amp but is very respectable. Unless

you're planning to drive your speakers to insane levels, the

1075 will have more than enough power.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I agree. I have driven Aerials with 1075 without any problems. Aerials are rated at 6 ohms & 85-86 dB sensitivity.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've had my 1075 for one week now and it has been sweet treat.

The difference in sound depth or soundstage or whatever the term is, has been inspiring compared to the amps in my Denon 2805.

And my speakers (mid-line Polks) are nothing really special, but they now sound magnitudes better.

At double the price, I never gave the 1095 a look.

·
Registered
793 Posts
1075 is more than enough for the vast number of purchasers. Given the fact that the 1095 costs twice as much, your extra 1000 could be better placed elsewhere in your system IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.