AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in compiling the differences between the HD200 and the SAT-520. Here is what I have so far:

1) DVI cable included w/Sony HD200

2) Sony indicates that the HD200 may be control-ed via the RS-232 serial port. No similar indication from Zenith regarding the SAT-520. If someone can confirm (or prove false) that indeed the SAT-520 responds to the same commands via the RS-232 as does the HD200, that would valuable information.

3) Sony HD200 remote includes format button enabling cycling through all the output display formats. According to this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...744#post1566744

"With the 520's remote you can only switch back and forth from 480i to whatever format (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.) that you have pre-selected using the front panel control on the box. " I am not sure this really matters if one is to use only a single HD mode.

4) Flip cover on Sony HD200 remote.

5) MSRP is $799.95 for the Sony HD200 and $699.95 for the Zenith SAT-520. Actually, all that really matters is the price you pay, so this comparison really depends on the supply/demand situation for each of the units at the time of the decision. Also, other factors including proximity to a brick & mortar dealer or availability via mail order.

6) 2 remote ID possibilities for the Sony HD200 and one for the Zenith SAT-520.

If anyone can elaborate on these and perhaps other issues, then great. For example;

a) Are the RS-232 codes the same?

b) Are the IR remote codes the same?

c) Any difference in remote firmware download? i.e. will there be different releases of the FW for each unit, or will a new FW release be flagged for both brands?

d) Feedback on customer support??

Tom

·
Registered
506 Posts
One other difference, some users have posted difficulties in using IR extenders on the SAT-520 due to the Zenith's shiny front face. This would be an issue for anyone putting the STB out of sight since the SAT-520 cannot be controlled via RS-232.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Lewis
MSRP is $7990.95 for the Sony HD200 and $699.95 for the Zenith SAT-520.
I'm sick of sony's inflated prices :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
norxh,

Oops, my bad; I corrected it. Reminds me of the Pioneer unit, for around $2400 was it? The one that did not even have a power supply because it plugged into the PRO-x10HD series of sets.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What is the source of the information re the Sony being controllable via a RS232 connection?

The rear panels for the 520 and 200 appear identical to me. Both have DVI video outs, a 15 pin RGBHV video out and a 9 pin service only connection. I don't see a RS232 on either stb.

If the 9 pin service connection can be used as a RS232 on the Sony, why can't this port be used as a RS232 on the Zenith?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.