AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand this might be an old question but I could not find anything during a search.

What are the differences between the Replay 4040 and the 4504? I have a 4040 upgraded to 120 and a new 4504. Well the 4504 can always see and connect to the 4040. I can see programs on the 4040 via my home cabling system.

My 4040 can see the programs and occasionally will allow me play the programs from the 4504. Most of the time I get a message about needing to check to see if the 4504 is on, but 1/3 of the time I get a connection with no problems.

Why is works some times but not others is a mystery.

After two emails which told me to try various items I had already tried (bit tried them again anyway) I got the following from digital networks technical support

?I apologize for the inconvenience, but its not possible for you to have Local Video Sharing with RTV4000 series and RTV4500, They both are not at all compatible.

We hope these recommendations solve your problem, but if for any reason you need further assistance, please get back in touch and we'll do our best to help you further.?

This email was pretty disturbing because before purchasing this and doing a LT subscription I asked a phone salesperson and they told me no problem.

Do any of you have a suggestion how I can get the 4040 to see the 4504 programming?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
As far as I know there are no differences between the units besides the "activation" portions of the software. More details would be helpful, how is your network setup?

Did you try switching the network jacks the two units are plugged into and see if the symptoms switch around? Or try switching the cables?

·
Registered
886 Posts
That email is completely wrong. There is no hardware difference between the 4040 and 4504. The only difference was the pricing for the units. The 4040's included your lifetime subscription. The 4504 had separate subscriptions that could be lifetime or monthly. As long as your units are both on the same software version 4.35, you should be fine.

The 5000 series Replays cannot stream with the 4000 series Replay. Hence the reason for the trade-in program. I think it's probably a network issue on your network that causing your problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
As far as I know there are no differences between the units besides the "activation" portions of the software. More details would be helpful, how is your network setup?

Did you try switching the network jacks the two units are plugged into and see if the symptoms switch around? Or try switching the cables?
Yes, I switched locations of the units and the same problem happened. My network is very good (I have done technology for a living). The wiring distance between machines is about 70 feet.

I have Cat 6 cabling terminating into a gigabit switch and patch board. Yes, both machines terminate into netgear gigabit switches. A linksys router in front of a cable modem. Both machines have dedicated ip addresses with different port numbers (for looking at the outside world).

The wiring was tested and is running clear and clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
ejuly, do you still have a copy of the email you received from customer care? If so, can you send it to me at [email protected] ? Thanks.
just sent it off from my yahoo account which I used to communicaye with digital networks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.