AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so say I decide to put out the $150 or so for a personal colorimeter. Then calibrate my display using the blu-Ray disc and that associated hdmi input. Can I assume that my Directv box will have a different calibration requirement than the blu-Ray player? How would I be able to calibrate the input for the satellite box? Or would the difference be so slight that it wouldn't matter?

Also what meter is better - Sipder 3 TV or Eye one LT?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The profiled spyder 3 is better than the LT.

Cable and Satellite is calibrated with a HD signal generator. Then you cross your fingers and hope for the best. It might be the same as the dvd player ... it might be very different.

Regards

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
The problem with cable/satellite boxes is not so much that the box is problematic (though older boxes with DVI outputs tend to be a little more messy), but the 100 or 200 or 300 channels are all doing something a little different. Imagine standing 50 yards from an archery target and shooting a shotgun at it with 300 pellets in the shotgun shell. There's going to be a group of pellets hit the bullseye, but the rest of the pellets are going to spray randomly over the large target. So it is with cable/satellite channels.

A lot of displays have only 1 calibration memory so you have to pick your 1 best compromise calibration and that's it. Other TVs have a different calibration memory for each input so you COULD do a completely different calibration for your disc player and TV box. Other TVs (some Pioneer models) have a different memory for every RESOLUTION. So you could calibrate 1080p for your disc player and 1080i & 720p for your cable/satellite box. But there's no really accurate means of "calibrating" a cable/satellite box since there is no channel that provides grayscale window patterns from the box that represent those same grayscale steps from each channel. You could use the RF out from a video signal generator and connect it to the RF input of the cable/satellite box, but this no longer works on many boxes and if it does work, there are so many variables that the RF connection is just as much guesswork as using the HDMI out from the signal generator and bypassing the cable/satellite box altogether. The real problem is that there's no way to get real "undisputed" reference patterns out of the box. HDNET has been known to broadcast a SMPTE color bar pattern from time to time, but that's no help if you need grayscale window patterns. And there are few other channels that would "agree" 100% with the SMPTE color bars on HDNET. They may all be working to the same target, but they don't all hit the target with the same accuracy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts