AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my def tech mythos 5.1 system hooked up with the 16 gauge monster speaker wire that came with it when i purchased it.

i would like to mount the center channel above the tv so i require in wall rated speaker wire for it. if i buy the belden 10 or 12 gauge wire from blue jeans cable & use it for just the center speaker will this create a problem or affect the sound? or should i be changing out the wire for the whole system at the same time?

is there any reason to choose 10 gauge over the 12? my longest run is for the surrounds at approx. 30 feet.

will new speaker wire for the whole system make it sound better than with the 16 gauge?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
No

No

No

No

Was that enough "No" to cover it all?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You can use 10 gauge if you want, but it wouldn't make a difference unless your wire runs are enormous. For 30 feet, even 14 gauge would work.

One problem with 10 gauge is that it's really thick, so you might be struggling to get it to fit your speaker posts/clips.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15423189

You can use 10 gauge if you want, but it wouldn't make a difference unless your wire runs are enormous. For 30 feet, even 14 gauge would work.

One problem with 10 gauge is that it's really thick, so you might be struggling to get it to fit your speaker posts/clips.

Good point. The wire holes in common dual banana plugs are no larger than number 14 wire - larger wire requires reaming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.