AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Sanyo PJ. Right now, the bulb comes on starts its countdown and when it hits zero, it goes off.

I had this before, sent to Sanyo and ended up with a new bulb. Ok things worked fine. Something to do with the ballast being bad. This bulb has 451 hours on it.

It seems strange to me that the bulb fires up but cuts out at the point when the unit switches to the input signal.

First bulb-650 hours and exploded.

2nd bulb 550 hours and exploded.

3rd bulb 350 hours and then the above....

4th bulb 451 hours and then the above.

The pj is plugged into a Monster cable home theater power strip.

It sits static on top of a piano.

I also have a small fan running on it 24-7.

We use it as our primary TV, running it during the evening.

(This last bulb ..451 hrs...was purchased and used beginning in April)

Bulb costs are $400 each to replace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you use the piano while the projector is on top of it? Maybe the piano produces some vibrations that causes the premature death of bulbs.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I guess one could ask all of the usual questions like:

1. Is there sufficient air flow thru the unit. From the picture (at the posted site), it looks like a "back wall" at the edge of the "piano".... is it? how far away is the wall?

2. Who is changing out the bulbs for you, you or service center?.... reason I ask, is are you also checking the filters that the air passes thru to ensure they are clear?... its amazing how fast things like this get plugged.

3. Have you checked the lamp at "regular" aging stages (ie. every 100 hours or so) to see if there are "signs" of aging (ie. discoloration on the "inner walls" of the glass)?... if there is "growing" discoloration, I think I saw a post where in general this could lead to failure as the "discoloration" increase the amount of heat contained within the glass vessel.

Another question is whether the initial failure that they serviced the unit for was actually total "fixed"... meaning did they replace a complete board and components on the existing board... perhaps they didn't get everything.... things like voltages might not actually be right... did they plug in a bulb and go "it works... problem solved" without testing all characteristics of the board to ensure they are within spec after the "fix". That would be my "guess" if answer to the other questions don't point to anything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by budwich
I guess one could ask all of the usual questions like:

1. Is there sufficient air flow thru the unit. From the picture (at the posted site), it looks like a "back wall" at the edge of the "piano".... is it? how far away is the wall?

2. Who is changing out the bulbs for you, you or service center?.... reason I ask, is are you also checking the filters that the air passes thru to ensure they are clear?... its amazing how fast things like this get plugged.

3. Have you checked the lamp at "regular" aging stages (ie. every 100 hours or so) to see if there are "signs" of aging (ie. discoloration on the "inner walls" of the glass)?... if there is "growing" discoloration, I think I saw a post where in general this could lead to failure as the "discoloration" increase the amount of heat contained within the glass vessel.

Another question is whether the initial failure that they serviced the unit for was actually total "fixed"... meaning did they replace a complete board and components on the existing board... perhaps they didn't get everything.... things like voltages might not actually be right... did they plug in a bulb and go "it works... problem solved" without testing all characteristics of the board to ensure they are within spec after the "fix". That would be my "guess" if answer to the other questions don't point to anything.
Thanks for your responses, I appreciate it very much. I have gone through all sorts of things to keep the bulb working. Filters are checked once a week, although they are never really all that dirty. I don't look at the lamp too often, and when I do, they look perfectly clear to me. ??I usually change the bulbs out, but the last time this happened I borrowed another XU30 and put the "defective bulb in. The borrowed projector did the same thing....counted down then quit. I guess this bulb must have a 1000 hour lamp life, then when you turn it on and off everyday you must lose an hour for every turn on.

The hot air exhaust is exited from the front of the unit, so there is plenty of space there. Putting your hand in back of the unit, doesn't really feel to bad back there.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sorry, I didn't help much. The part about putting the bulb in another unit helps a bit. Thus, the next question is... do you know what the "life" of the bulbs in the "other unit" have been.... similar... then it would appear that perhaps this is the "nature of the beast". I wasn't able to find the bulb life for your unit on the couple of sites that I poked at but depending on the manufacturing age of your unit... older models (probably mean earlier as opposed to old) had lower lifes from what I have seen / monitored. Of course, those numbers are "average" but it looks like you are heading for an "average" of 400...:-(. One other thing on your comment about the exhaust out the front of the unit... I was expecting that... however, if there is "air restrictions" on the intake then it might be possible that the unit is not getting "proper / adequate" air flow even though your "hands test" feels fine. Just a thought though, I don't have any thing that would say this is a problem. Some projectors like X1 for instance mention minimum clearance from walls and such for air flow. Your 1500 lumens is pretty high so I would expect alot of heat.... perhaps it is a weakness of the design. Again, it would be nice if you had some data points either from Sanyo or other users (although not too many have posted so perhaps this "community" isn't using them for one reason or another... although I have seen a couple of threads on Sanyo machines blowing bulbs around your 400 hour "average" with worried comments from others). My own personal experience with electronics is that partial "vacuums" / low pressures are easy to create which result is less than efficient cooling... they are caused by "less than adequate" intake flows.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you again. I guess this is one of life's little compromises. I got the thing (they still make it) a year ago. It fits the room well with its brightness and long focal length.

I really love it, but I guess the cost of ownership is gonna be like this. I would really like to put some sort of tiny tv in the room just for regular watching, then use this for movies etc to make the limited bulb time last longer for us. Sanyo told me the bulb time I had been getting was "not great" and should be longer, but after 3 techs and a district manager looked it over, they couldn't find anything wrong with it outside the bulb.

You think if If I put the each leg on top of 3 inch tall rubber "stilts" it would give me more clearance underneath between bottom of pj and top of piano, thus more airflow underneath would do anything?

Might as well try, that...I've done everything else! Ha.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't think clearance from the bottom would be a problem as the air is not taken in from the bottom (I think).... most units take their air from the back and / or side. Sorry I don't actually know much about the Sanyos.... but does your unit have a "standby" mode where the fan is on but the bulb is not lit (X1 goes into this mode during "soft shut down" and stays in this mode until you actually hard power it down... ie. to dead). The reason I ask is you could do a "small experiment" with a candle and flashlight. Use a lit candle to generate a "little bit" of visible smoke (cigarette will probably work too but your unit might "catch" cancer :)). Move the smoke "generator" around the back of the unit while it is in "standby" to "see" the air flow into the unit and check if there is any unexpected "pockets" where is doesn't seem to draw. I say a "little" smoke because you don't want too much to go thru your unit as this will impacts the "light engine" and "image cells" (ie. TFTs, DLPs, LCDs) so you want to keep this to a minimum. If you are "brave" you could also try the same test when the unit is on to see if you notice a difference then. Does this unit have a "low" and "high" for bulb life "conservation"?

I guess the last question would be... How are you turning things off for the night ie. normal power done / cooling cycle where the fan runs after the bulb is turned off or a total immediate shut down. I have been totally shutting down my X1 about 350 hours so far with out a problem (although there has been discussion around this technique). If there is a shutdown "cycle", I would also try checking the airflow just before shutdown starts and watch what happens as it runs thru the cycle again looking for something that doesn't look right.... ie. smoke source just "sits there" and not being "inhaled".

Hope it gives you some more ideas. PS. you didn't actually answer my question about the bulb life of the "other unit" that you had tried your "faulty" bulb in.... or was that just a "one time service unit"?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the other borrowed projector is from the AV dept of my company and STILL doesn't have the bulb hours mine have had....still not to even 350 on the first bulb, so hard to determine.

Understand about the smoke. Will try that on a quickie basis and see where it draws from.

So you have a Sanyo too. That's cool. Hope you have better luck. I just project mine on a wall, still looks good. Gotta a photo of your setup?

Mike

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hey Mike...

I think you may have missed a line or two. I have an Infocus X1 but I have followed the avs forum for quite a while looking at all kind of posts ... as a hobby type thing. If you look thru this forum, I think you will find a couple of other posts dealing with Sanyo bulbs... there owners might give you some clues if you PM them... maybe. You can PM me if you like and we can continue on this with your findings.

As for a pic of my setup, I don't really have any yet... don't have a digital camera but I have posted some pics in the Screen forum for my DIY electric screen that I made a while back. As for my X1, it is wall / ceiling mounted with a DIY mount similar to those discussed in this forum.

Good luck... I hope I get closer to the 4000 hours that Infocus says I will get from my bulb.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My Sanyo Z1 does have vents on the bottom that are part of the cooling system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.