AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this might be a new one on you, or could be the same old question -- are better cables worth it? Here's why the question could be new, or at least unique.

I have a 7 ch NAD amp, so I offload the power from my Yamaha RCVR to the amp and the amp pushes the speakers.

The power out on each channel of the recver connects to the amp by standard RCA plug in -- so, would an investment in some higher quality RCA cables make a difference?

I'm not an engineer, but carrying the signal from the rcver to the amp seems important: do I run any risk of losing signal quality from the rcver to the amp with crappy cables?

And hence, this could be the same old question -- are better cables worth it.

Responses and feedback will be appreciated -- thank you!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Buy your cables from Blue Jeans Cable, you can't go wrong.

They sell very high quality at a reasonable price and their customer service is outstanding!

Many on this forum will say "buy from monoprice" but why not spend a little more and get the best?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 /forum/post/18179215

because they are functionally equivalent?

I have owned both and my opinion is Blue Jean cables are constucted with higher quality components period!

You have your opinion and I have mine and I feel there is no reason to rehash a very old subject.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18179495

Unless the RCA cables are improperly assembled, broken or otherwise defective, they will not impact the audio quality.

I simply stated blue Jean Cables are constucted with higher quality components.

You spend your money your way and I'll spend my money my way.

This ain't brain surgery, there is really nothing to discuss.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krab /forum/post/18179562

I simply stated blue Jean Cables are constucted with higher quality components.

You spend your money your way and I'll spend my money my way.

This ain't brain surgery, there is really nothing to discuss.

Good for you! I was simply answering the OP's question.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I vote for mono price. You can afford a few movies with the money saved. I have wasted a money by paying $30 for basic cables, and suggest to other people they avoid that practice.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18179673

I vote for mono price. You can afford a few movies with the money saved. I have wasted a money by paying $30 for basic cables, and suggest to other people they avoid that practice.

When were talking about reasonably priced cables, don't you think so called "other people" should have the chance to try different cables for their own edification without believing they're "wasting their money" because someone makes such a blanket statement?

I'm sure everyone on this forum "wastes money" on something. At least buying a well made cable is something tangible unlike smoking, drinking, gambling, womanizing and other countless vices.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
And I am not preventing them from spending their money. Of course I am going to give the advice which makes sense to me. That's what forums are for.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljhuman /forum/post/18180311

and i am not preventing them from spending their money. Of course i am going to give the advice which makes sense to me. That's what forums are for.

ok

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
There's nothing wrong with paying more for better-constructed cables that are more durable and may hold up to more abuse over time and I don't think anyone is trying to tell you otherwise. You can step down from your soap box.

But that's not what the OP was asking. He specifically inquired about signal quality benefits of better cables.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18180379

There's nothing wrong with paying more for better-constructed cables that are more durable and may hold up to more abuse over time and I don't think anyone is trying to tell you otherwise. You can step down from your soap box.

But that's not what the OP was asking. He specifically inquired about signal quality benefits of better cables.

OK boss!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Are you seriously suggesting with your rolly-eyes that the OP did not inquire about sound-quality improvements of using better cables and actually asked about build-quality? Do I need to quote him for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwgobuffs /forum/post/18179147

The power out on each channel of the recver connects to the amp by standard RCA plug in -- so, would an investment in some higher quality RCA cables make a difference?

I'm not an engineer, but carrying the signal from the rcver to the amp seems important: do I run any risk of losing signal quality from the rcver to the amp with crappy cables?

Where in there is he asking about the durability or build-quality of better cables? All I see is him asking about signal quality improvements. Scientific testing, of both electrical characteristics and double-blind testing to identify any audible sonic differences, found none in every case study that I am aware of.

Your forum name suits you well, by the way.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krab /forum/post/18180302

I'm sure everyone on this forum "wastes money" on something. At least buying a well made cable is something tangible unlike smoking, drinking, gambling, womanizing and other countless vices.

You really get that much pleasure from your cables?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18180536

Are you seriously suggesting with your rolly-eyes that the OP did not inquire about sound-quality improvements of using better cables and actually asked about build-quality? Do I need to quote him for you?

Where in there is he asking about the durability or build-quality of better cables? All I see is him asking about signal quality improvements. Scientific testing, of both electrical characteristics and double-blind testing to identify any audible sonic differences, found none in every case study that I am aware of.

Your forum name suits you well, by the way.

By the way,

·
Premium Member
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 /forum/post/18180976

You really get that much pleasure from your cables?

Only when my wife is out of town!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well IMO to answer the OP's question, go with monoprice. Krab has his own opinion but I own and use both monoprice and blue jeans cable and there really isn't any difference between the two performance wise.

I do agree with Krab's that BJ "looks" better built but no way worth the extra $$$ and it can get substantial depending on what you buy.

I vote with everyone else and save your money go with monoprice.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18179673

Which Monoprice cables do you own?

Do you own any Blue Jeans cables? If yes, which?

BTW, paying "$30 for basic cables" isn't all that expensive. Which cables are these? And why did you feel that you got ripped off?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.