AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I have a question please regarding my Audigy 1 Gamer card.

I notice that (unlike the Audigy 2 card) in the Audigy 1 card driver I can change the SPDIF sampling rate from 48KHz to 44.1KHz, using the Device Controls portion of AudioHQ.

If I do change it to 44.1KHz, does this mean that regarding CD Audio,

1) The Audigy resamples the CD-native rate of 44.1KHz up to the good-ole Audigy favorite of 48KHz, and then resamples *again* down to 44.1KHz before outputting to SPDIF,

or,

2) The Audigy will sample *only once* (namely at the CD-native 44.1KHz) and output this directly through SPDIF without touching it again.

Obviously, I'm hoping that the answer is #2 above. If so, then I can use an external DAC with the Audigy 1 card along with the kernel-streaming plugin, thus avoiding both the Audigy 48KHz resampling and the kmixer.

Can anybody please help me with this question? Thank you!

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
Are you sure it isn't for when recording?
Yes, well at least I'm pretty sure. There is a Creative webpage that explains how to make the change the output sampling rate for SPDIF to 44.1KHz, but I can't put a link here since I don't yet have 5 posts.

If you search the Creative knowledgebase for the phrase "Audigy default sampling rate", you will get a hit titled "The Audigy default sampling rate of 96KHz does not work with my digital speakers" which takes you to a Creative webpage titled Creative Solution ID#9408. That page shows how to change the SPDIF output sampling rate.

So, for my question regarding CD music, if I change the SPDIF output sampling rate to 44.1KHz, will the Creative driver actually be resampling twice (i.e. from 44.1KHz to 48KHz and then down to 44.1KHz again) or will it sample the CD music data only once at 44.1KHz and pass it directly through the SPDIF port?

Thanks for reading this, does anybody have any ideas about this please?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Answer would be 1. Nobody succeed to get pass-through CD audio from Audigy.

On the other hand, Audigy 2 ZS might be different. I heard one guy said he got bit-perfect output. I don't own it, so I'm not 100% sure, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kazushi
Answer would be 1. Nobody succeed to get pass-through CD audio from Audigy.

On the other hand, Audigy 2 ZS might be different. I heard one guy said he got bit-perfect output. I don't own it, so I'm not 100% sure, though.
Just to clarify please, does this mean that the Audigy 1 card cannot do any kind of CD audio through SPDIF at all?

Or just that it cannot do bit-perfect CD audio, even when 44.1KHz is selected as the SPDIF output sampling rate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kazushi
I just mean it isn't bit-perfect. ;)
Thanks for the replies, well I guess using the 44.1KHz output sampling rate for Audigy 1 SPDIF isn't such a good idea then after all.

It seemed like such a good solution at first, but oh well!

Guess I'll just have to find a better card, one that will work well for games and CD audio. Perhaps the Audigy 2 ZS that you mentioned...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My C-Media Onboard audio with SPDIF has the same option. 44.1 or 48khz and often wondered the same. Ie from 44.1 to 48 to 44.1 or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.