AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to use clips and hat channel, but I'm afraid thats not in my budget. I've seen the clips that isolate the studs from the top plate, but that is out of my range too. I thought of an idea, but I'm not sure if it would serve my purpose. I hope this makes sense! My idea is to nail in a 2x4 to the joists where the walls are going to be. Then build the stud wall like normal, just a tad shorter than it should be, leaving a space between the top plate and the other 2x4 attached to the joists. In the space between use rubber or urethane bushing to isolate the wall from the joists and run a bolt through. Maybe every 4 feet or so. Wouldn't this be a cheap way of decoupling the wall from the house? I do plan to DD & GG the walls.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
454 Posts
instead of putting up the top plate, have you considred building a false ceiling? That's what I did. Cost about $80 in lumber. The walls are free-standing, and are not coupled to the walls or the ceiling above.

Ted White's site has some good info on the concepts in his library.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/..._within_a_room

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BlckGT /forum/post/15435599

instead of putting up the top plate, have you considred building a false ceiling? That's what I did. Cost about $80 in lumber. The walls are free-standing, and are not coupled to the walls or the ceiling above.

Ted White's site has some good info on the concepts in his library.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/..._within_a_room

I've read the article, but I'm slow to understand the concept. How do you attach the "floating" joists to real joists or whatever it gets attached to?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailguy /forum/post/15435795

I've read the article, but I'm slow to understand the concept. How do you attach the "floating" joists to real joists or whatever it gets attached to?

The floating joists attach to the new walls that are built. You can toe nail or use some type of strap to attach them.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Jailguy, that's a great idea, but perhaps not as potentially effective as one might think. The rubber conducts vibration pretty well, especially when compressed (as will happen when you screw together).

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,596 Posts
You want cheap? Frame the wall with the two top plates as you suggest sitting 1/2 inch apart.

Then drill out some holes in the top top plate and bang in some used wine corks or rubber test tube stoppers from the top side. Run screws up through the bottom plate into the cork/rubber but do not tighten the plates together.

30 cents each:

However IMHO the number of RSIC 04 clips to isolate the wall framing x price each isn't that much compared to a DIY design.

http://store.soundproofingcompany.co...-rsic-dc04.htm

·
Registered
454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/15437521

The floating joists attach to the new walls that are built. You can toe nail or use some type of strap to attach them.

Yup.

I actually screwed up through the bottom of the top sill plate into the joist using 3.5" construction screws. I clamped the joist to the existing joist with a 2x4 block spaced out where i wanted the joists to be. That way you don't have to measure, just use the same spacer block, and you'll be 16" OC assuming your existing joists are.

Or, if you are paranoid like me, run a second 2x4 next to your new 2x8 (or 2x6).

For a lot more money you can use deck C braces to hold the joist in place, but each brace is $5, and that will quickly equal the cost of just using RISC clips in the first place.

I think it best, if you can't do the ceiling joists right, just buy the decoupling clips that attach the walls to the ceiling.

Keep in mind that each sheet of drywall weighs about 75lbs, so this isn't something that you want lightly braced if your doing two sheets.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15439507

However IMHO the number of RSIC 04 clips to isolate the wall framing x price each isn't that much compared to a DIY design.

http://store.soundproofingcompany.co...-rsic-dc04.htm

I'm very new to all this HT stuff... For some reason I was thinking that every stud would get a clip. Am I wrong? Could I use the clips in the same way I was thing about the spacers... every few feet?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Every 3-6 feet

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/15441637

Yes, absolutely. Every 3-6 feet

Oh, well that's a whole new ball game. I could probably swing that.

Any one have a pic of them installed to I can grasp how they're attached.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ted! That's exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.