AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks.

I may be beta testing one of the new platforms relatively soon and I'm trying to gather input on what our current machines struggle with. I've already got a laundry list of things from my experience I want to try, but I wanted to make sure I don't miss entire categories of HTPC stuff I haven't messed with yet which is important but just hasn't hit my horizon.

So what currently gives you fits-- on Intel graphics or otherwise? I include such things as DVD upconversion, funky refresh rates, problematic clips found on the web, internet streaming, particularly difficult Blu-ray scenes, etc.

I'll be checking out both HW accel decode and SW decode, scaling to 1080p, and (if I can swing it) HDMI audio.

Keep in mind, this is an "in-home" experience, and I won't be able to make too many purchases (assume none) to check out esoteric HW interactions. But given I'll be lucky enough to play with one of these systems before public release, I'd like to do my part in helping to make it robust before the consumer sees it. I have a Netflix account, so specific Blu-rays that beat your current machine into submission will be something I can certainly try to grab, but unfortunately, CableCard is off the map for me. Sorry.

Mostly, I'm gonna be enjoying the machine and watching lots of movies and Dancing With The Stars, and doing my best to stress and break things.

I hope you have some good suggestions.

Rgds and thanks in advance,

AB

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Watch bluray, Rip Bluray, and reencode another blurayrip . All that the same time time.

While running a virus scan.

and recording two shows, in HD.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect that will be more impacted by your hard drives (number and speed), but I will add it to the "extra credit" list.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Already on my list.

·
Registered
537 Posts
when I had an intel g45 mobo back in feb/march timeframe, I coudln't for the life of me get reliable 8ch lpcm audio out of hdmi. No drivers I ever found would let windows send 8ch 24/96, let alone 24/192. For whatever reason the drivers would not allow me to even select 8 channels, only 2.

However, using the MS drivers that came with win7 allowed me to do this..

so thats something to try out, make sure you can use HDMI the way it was meant to.

also, you might want to put 24p on your list of things to make sure works flawlessly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How about getting consistent black levels across all apps (7MC HD and SD TV, SD DVD, Blu-ray, and desktop) when using HDMI out?

By the way, I'm surprised no one's asked yet what platform it is you'll be testing????

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmarino /forum/post/16930879

How about getting consistent black levels across all apps (7MC HD and SD TV, SD DVD, Blu-ray, and desktop) when using HDMI out?

By the way, I'm surprised no one's asked yet what platform it is you'll be testing????

Not just consistent, but unmolested for Video.

It makes no sense to me to have the player expand the levels to match the desktop, and then have the video drivers compress it all back in to 16-235 for HDMI output.

HDMI makes no sense if you ask me...

Another task that is all but impossible, is decent deinterlacing in software. Yadif is meant to be ok, but it looks pox to me when I try it. I don't need to deinterlace often, and I don't like DXVA (refer levels issues), but when I do, the results suck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.