AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 42" Panasonic Plasma. I bought it with the desktop stand, but that doesn't work very well on my A/V rack (the desktop stand is wider than I was told).

If possible I would really like to wall mount. I live in a 100 year old house and my room doesn't have much wall space, so there is really only one place to put the wall mount. Here is the tricky part.

The stud spacing on that wall is 20". The wall is only 70" wide and I would like to place the Plasma all the way to the right (that is about as centered as you can get on the couch). That basically means I would like to have the display mounted where there is a stud running right up the center of it, and then one 20" in each direction from there.

Peerless and Chief Manufacturing both make plasma wall mounts that will work with 20" stud spacing, but neither of them seems to make one that will allow you to center the display on a stud. Instead they want to center the display between two studs.

Does anyone know of another wall mount bracket that can help here?

alex

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The house I previously lived in was 100+yrs old and I mounted a 27" to

the wall. Had similar problem as you, I used a piece of 3/4" oak laminate

plywood (24"hx41"w)to bridge the gap between the studs, used 4 screws

per stud, mounted the bracket to plywood. It held that 150+lb tv for years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perhaps you might consider a floor mount. This stand basically sits behind your A/V rack (or console table, or bookcase, or whatever piece of furniture you have in that spot) and holds the plasma above it where it can be clearly seen. Appears to only sit a couple of inches off the wall, so it's basically the same as a wall mount but without the Weekend Warrior aspects of making it work with your studs. Similar stands can be found here (minus the shelf) and here (the "PFS", also minus the shelf).

I live in a condo with sheetrock over metal studs. I'm considering one of these options to avoid intensive work on our walls...and it doesn't hurt that a floor stand would let me easily move the plasma around if someday I decide I need to nudge it a bit to the left or right to follow our room's seating pattern.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's one good thing about mounting my plasma to brick....no studs

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

Sixsevans: That would work, but basically require redoing the whole wall. The wall currently has 100 year old plaster on a wood lathe and that would be a pretty big project (and we'd probably want to do the whole room at the same time, an even bigger project).

Bridging the gap with plywood would work, but isn't very pretty.

The floor stand is something to consider. I had looked at those before, but hadn't thought of putting it behind the A/V shelf. That would do a good job of hiding it. I had been hoping to put the A/V stuff into the corner though, and wouldn't want a floor stand sitting out by itself -- all of the ones that I've seen are pretty ugly.

If the Chief Manufacturing PAC-125 beams were 40" wide instead of 28" wide they'd work great:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/accessories_...del_photo=NA-P

Here is an old picture of the space to give people an idea of what I'm dealing with:
http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/audi...d/speaker2.jpg

The plasma is fitting into the space between the left speaker and the doorway. That left speaker is mounted (using an Omnimount) into a stud that is 40" from the doorway. There is another stud halfway between them.

alex

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up the Omnimount today (Good Guys in the Seattle area stocks them). Good Guys didn't have the Panasonic specific plate, so I got the Universal one. It took a couple of hours to get everything together, but the plasma is now wall mounted and it looks great.

You can find these online at a number of places too, just do a search for Omnimount and Plasma. From what I can tell they are the only plasma mounts that center the display on a single stud instead of between two. The mount is very solid, it mounted to the wall stud with 4 3.5" long lag bolts.

alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.