AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the hk avr 325 and set up my 5 surround speakers and jbl 10 inch powered sub. I'm probably just an idiot, but I have not been able to get it to process and/or output a "true" surround sound signal. I do not know if it is user error or not!

When playing a standard DVD with dobly digital 5.1 via the optical input, it recognizes it as "digital." Then, I only have two options: VMAX (which does not even utilize the rear speakers) or Prologic II.

The PL II sounds like crap, with no voice at all! Why can't I get it to go to dsp, dts, or whatever else!? I've tried the osd settings. it lets me set it to whatever, until i turn on the dvd player, then it limits itself to just the two previously mentioned. I have the dvd audio settings to output pcm/bitstream (or is it just bitstream, or just pcm, now I can't remember. I'll have to mess w/ the dvd player a bit more in the morning).

I have sound checked the rear speakers, and they are functional.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I believe the output of the DVD player needs to be bitstream. And you need to make sure the DVD disc itself is defaulted to plave DD5.1...some do not and you will need to make a change in the menu.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did make sure to select dd5.1 if it was not the default on the dvd...as to the bitstream, I will be checking it first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did make sure to select dd5.1 if it was not the default on the dvd...as to the bitstream, I will be checking it first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dvd player is outputting bitstream. I am also able to get the system to go into "digital EX" even though I only have a 5 (plus sub) speaker system. I have to say, however, that it sounds like complete crap. i had to turn it up practically all the way just to ensure it was working. any help would be appriciated greatly.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
What model and make is the DVD player? Does the DD or DTS indicator light up on the 325 when playing a DD or DTS disc? If it does not you are only receiving 2 channel info from the player...PCM. Manually selecting the mode is not enough...if you aren't receiving the proper bitstream it will kick off into 2 channel again when it plays. Some players have multiple settings, some have shared settings. Make sure.

Have you leveled the channels yet? You need to get a test disc like AVIA,

Video Essentials or Sound & Vision and properly calibrate your system. Most in-receiver test tones do a relatively poor job of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My DVD player is a Tosh sd6200. I just checked, and it is outputting via the 2 channel analogue simultaneously with the toslink digital connector. The dvd configuration menus only provide the following:

bitstream

2 ch analogue

6 ch analogue

pcm

WHAT'S GOING ON?

The DD indicator on the top lef section of the indicator lights comes on, but the only digital formats it allows me to do are the vmax, PLII and occassionally the digital EX, "digital" (on the right row of indicators), DSP, or DTS (it does not auto detect it or let me manually select it when I select DTS on the DVD)

Regarding the speaker calibration, I put the system in dd ex and calibrated as best as could. i hope to do a more thorough job once i get this figured out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured it out! a buddy pointed out that it must be the dvd player, because i can set the hk to whatever i want, unit i turn on the dvd player. he suggested that i try setting it to output pcm instead of bitstream. duh, easy solution, AND IT WORKED. BTW, what is the difference between bistream and pcm?

Thanks for the help.

Ian

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
AVR 325 front panel display tells U the status of the incoming stream, assuming U have the DVD player output set check the letters INSIDE the 325 speaker icon boxes.

If Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) then the L and the R will ON.

If Dolby Digital 5.1, then L, C, R, SL, SR and LFE will be ON.

If Dolby Digital 6.1 (Ex) then L, C, R, SL, SR, SBL, SBR and LFE will be ON.

If U have the SB amplifiers ON (by OSD) then if the stream is 5.1 the EX is automatically turned ON. Certain earlier DVD releases had EX encoding but NO auto flag to tell the AVR, but now as more DVDs are released many have the proper AUTO flags so the AVR will automatically configure its output. For DTS, U have different options DTS 5.1, 6.1 Discrete and 6.1 Matrix. Majority of DTS releases are 5.1 but some of the newest titles are 6.1 like Gladiator.

Keep in mind that U have to select the audio mode like DD or DTS from the DVD player menu, and for the older DVDs once U select that option U must play the DVD with it. But... some DVDs now let U access Audio format menu on the fly (while playing the DVD) and U can actually toggle back forth from DD to DTS to DD...

Hope this helps U understand the 325, post if more questions.. :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
caution....i'm an idiot!

Secondly, I still am not getting the desired result. I assume that for a true surround sound experience, I should see (on the avr front display panel) the white icons of all six speakers labeled inside the red squares indicating the speaker placement. Currently I am not. By changing to pcm instead of bitstream, I am able to switch between dts, vmax, logic 7, dsp, and PL II. Interestingly enough, I do not have the option of DD (the one on the top left). The point is, that whatever configuration I try, I cannot seem to get all the speaker icons "lit up." Like I said, I'm an idiot!

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
OK..

When all else fails, we go back to square 1. My suggestion is that U do the following.

1. Reset the AVR 325

Turn main power off, Hold outer push buttons Tone Mode and FM Mode switch the main power button. RESET will show in the front panel display.

2. Now set AVR 325 DVD input to Optical 1. Push Dig Select use buttons till U get Opt 1 push SET.

3. Load X-Men into the Toshiba

4. DVD start menu SELECT Dolby Digital 5.1

5. Go back to DVD main menu, select Play Movie

6. X-Men should now play in Dolby Digital 5.1 through all 5 speakers and subwoofer.

Since the 325 has many different options by resetting it U go back to the factory defaults, Sub ON and SMALL for ALL speakers. U should now be getting audio from all speakers, each channel volume may need adjustment but don't go there until U get the basic system up and running.... Try the above and post back.. :cool:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
When all else fails, read the manual.

Dsmith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DSmith

I am a self acclaimed idiot, but not an illiterate one! :)

I have read the manual a few times, as well as spending extensive ammounts of time at the HK website, all to no avail. If you know of any specific information in the manual that would be helpful to my situation, I welcome the input!

Thanks!

Ian

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdmunkee
DSmith

I have read the manual a few times, as well as spending extensive ammounts of time at the HK website, all to no avail. If you know of any specific information in the manual that would be helpful to my situation, I welcome the input!

Thanks!

Ian
Have U tried the steps I outlined above.. :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sinitro,

I have not yet reset the unit, only because I just picked up a pair of tower speakers I want to install on the front, then I plan on taking the old ones and moving them to the back L/R sides. The end result being a 7.1 speaker configuration. I did not see the wisdom in resetting the unit, only to go and change it again.

I appreciate the help you have given, and will certainly let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdmunkee
DSmith

Thanks!

Ian
No offense intended, jus trying a little humor. I have the AVR520 and the only time I have failed to get DD 5.1 from a DVD is when the DVD player (Toshiba 2300) did not automatically pass the 5.1 soundtrack. I then have to push the "audio" button on the player until it shows 5.1 and there it is. On my receiver I can tell when the unit is receiving both 2 channel and 5.1 channel signals because both indicators light up at the same time. That's when I know the DVD player output needs to be adjusted. If your digital connection only lights up 2 channel (DPLII) but not 5.1 channel (DD) then the receiver is not recognizing a 5.1 signal. Of course there may not be a 5.1 signal to recognize if the DVD disc does not contain one or if the DVD player does not properly pass it.

I would try another (different model) DVD player and see if you have the same problem - if so then your receiver likely needs a fix. Fortunately H/K customer support is very good, though if it is less than 30 days old I would just take it back to the seller for a replacement.

One more point. Most DVDs use 2 ch audio for their trailers and intros and you don't get the 5.1 tracks until the movie itself starts. So be sure you are into the movie when checking for 5.1.

Good luck.

Dsmith

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DSmith,

No offense taken. It has just been very frustrating. I probably won't get to it until this weekend, but I'll post any progress or failure. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I might hook up my ps2 (as that is the only other dvd player I have in the house currently) and try it out. would that work?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
As long as the PS2 is DD capable it should be fine (I'm not a gamer). Will save you the trouble of tracking down another player. Use the same optical connection and cable to help rule things in or out...also, try a different cable...I know you're getting some signal output but stranger things have been known to happen.

If the PS2 shows the same problem once you've got your system switched around to 7.1, try the reset suggestion before you do anything else.

Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.