AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience in whether the 8 way will truly bring in more signals from further away?

I have finally gotten only two channels in the bay area, NBC and CBS (sometimes) but cannot get much needed ABC. I am hoping that the bigger would pull it in and maybe FOX, but don't know

any feedback would be appreciated, and if maybe a site with good prices?

thanks

TB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
In theory, the 4228 should double (3db) the gain of the 3021. In practice, it depends on which frequency you're talking about. Check out http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html for a computer modelling comparison of the two.

Now whether or not 3db is going to make the difference between your getting a station or not depends on how close you are to getting a reliable signal now. If you get nothing now, that 3db probably won't change a thing. If you get locks, but have trouble holding a lock or get a lot of artifacting, 3db could put you over the top.

OTOH, the 4228 is much more directional than the 3021, which may cause problems if your stations aren't in the exact same direction.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you're in Redwood City, the CM4221 should be fine. I am in San Jose and I can get all major bay area stations with the CM4221 when mounted on my chimney. No rotor, no 10' mast, no preamp. I'm glad I didn't get the 4228.

CM4228 = twice the gain, twice the size, twice the price.

Do you have your antenna mounted in the attic or on the roof? It made a huge difference for me when I moved my antenna out of the attic and on the roof.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 3021, the four way, mounted on the roof pointing towards Sutro. I am on a hill, with a small hill near me. Don't know if I am getting bounces, or if I am locking in on the bounces.

I might try to repoint it, another direction completly. Maybe, I will be ABC and now the bounces of CBS and NBC.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 8 bay is much more directional, and thus better at dealing with multipath.

The 4 bay is a good all-around UHF antenna; it's small and unobtrusive, and is a good choice if you don't have a difficult situation.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Get a freind to help you aim your antenna.

Put the tuner on the channel you have the most trouble with.

Turn on the tuner's signal strength meter.

Slowly move the antenna until your friend tells you the signal is strongest.

If no improvement, check your coax connectors and all antenna connections.

Do you have a preamp? If so, what kind?

What kind of tuner are you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.