AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I also wonder if you change it now, if the vertical line from the panel molding down to the vertical line of the stair molding being not in a single vertical plane would trouble you..

My horrible crude picture... right now, the red line, attempts to show panel molding end is lined up with end of stair trim... Green lines are very rough representation of you extend the stair step.

Outside my theater, going form my landing down into the basement, my carpenter did the same thing as yours... in part, on the opposite wall, he couldn't step it down, so, maybe it was a consistency thing...

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,446 Posts
I'd say redo the baseboard and the corresponding faux wainscotting. years from now you will still be looking at the walls and thinking what an amateur job he did. The most noticeable one is at the stage. A future home buyer will think it is a DIY remodel.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #844 ·
I also wonder if you change it now, if the vertical line from the panel molding down to the vertical line of the stair molding being not in a single vertical plane would trouble you..

My horrible crude picture... right now, the red line, attempts to show panel molding end is lined up with end of stair trim... Green lines are very rough representation of you extend the stair step.

Outside my theater, going form my landing down into the basement, my carpenter did the same thing as yours... in part, on the opposite wall, he couldn't step it down, so, maybe it was a consistency thing...
I'd say redo the baseboard and the corresponding faux wainscotting. years from now you will still be looking at the walls and thinking what an amateur job he did. The most noticeable one is at the stage. A future home buyer will think it is a DIY remodel.
Doing it now is MUCH easier than fixing it later... Jeff is right, if it bugs you now, it will almost certainly always bug you... I didn't look at the stage before, that one would bug me too...
agree all; working on it...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Digs - Thanks very much! If possible, as you come near the end of construction work, can you try to post something that shows itemized cost (at whatever detail you have available)? This is really helpful for some of us to see where you spend the $'s. I can certainly help bring it together in a spreadsheet if help is needed (Obviously will need your input). Thanks again, this stuff truly is inspiring. I have spent most of my career doing finance work but this HT stuff seems very exciting and likely next project I will take up. :)

Great question Maximus!

Admittedly this is a lagging component of my build as I have been focusing almost exclusively on the room itself. I'll check models on it all and post up an answer to your question later this week. For now, its going to be something like this:

1. Yamaha AVR (model eludes me but its old) - 7.1 AVR powering all speakers (details check sig)
  2. iNuke DSP (3000 I believe) - powering 6 SW (details check sig)
  3. Slingbox
  4. Squeezebox
  5. XB1
  6. Cisco Cable Box
  7. Panasonic Blu-Ray player
  8. HW40ES PJ
  9. Considering Crown Transducers for front row (and rear potentially) which would add another amp to the rack.
  10. most certainly forget something...

Whereas the construction of the room will be somewhat 'final' at the completion of this phase of work, the equipment will be an ongoing process over the course of a couple more years I'm guessing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Diggs, sorry if I missed it, but what is your plan to cover the speakers in the columns? I love the trim work, you must be losing a lot of sleep from the excitement of being so close to done!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Digs - Thanks very much! If possible, as you come near the end of construction work, can you try to post something that shows itemized cost (at whatever detail you have available)? This is really helpful for some of us to see where you spend the $'s. I can certainly help bring it together in a spreadsheet if help is needed (Obviously will need your input). Thanks again, this stuff truly is inspiring. I have spent most of my career doing finance work but this HT stuff seems very exciting and likely next project I will take up. :)
I had to +1 this as... as odd as it sounds to me... you would not believe how many people have asked me the same thing... and I'm still mudding and sanding drywall (maybe related to my OCD)....

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
I had to +1 this as... as odd as it sounds to me... you would not believe how many people have asked me the same thing... and I'm still mudding and sanding drywall (maybe related to my OCD)....
Sure thing, I'm not proud :D

I'll draft up something later on :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
Hey Diggs, sorry if I missed it, but what is your plan to cover the speakers in the columns? I love the trim work, you must be losing a lot of sleep from the excitement of being so close to done!
Hey Aerumas; no doubt :) I setup the PJ one last time this past weekend to test/finalize aspect ratios/screen sizing. Playing VG is still something I enjoy after all these years and it was the first I had a chance under this setup.

I was absolutely floored. I played the new COD game on campaign. Had it turned up pretty loud. Every time a grenade was thrown I was cringing a bit lol Detonation of the grenades and heavy firearms made me feel as close to war as I'd ever like to get hehe - my clothes were shaking around and stuff lol Truly a better setup than I ever envisioned when I started this crazy hobby approx 1 year ago.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
This is that critical WAF "aha" moment.... when they don't doubt you anymore. :) LoL
lol so true Geek haha

The walls of my theater are a physical representation of the compromise between my wifes goals and mine with the low walls being purely aesthetic in nature (wife) and the high walls being performance based with the treatments (me) lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was absolutely floored. I played the new COD game on campaign. Had it turned up pretty loud. Every time a grenade was thrown I was cringing a bit lol Detonation of the grenades and heavy firearms made me feel as close to war as I'd ever like to get hehe - my clothes were shaking around and stuff lol Truly a better setup than I ever envisioned when I started this crazy hobby approx 1 year ago.
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Aerumas; no doubt :) I setup the PJ one last time this past weekend to test/finalize aspect ratios/screen sizing. Playing VG is still something I enjoy after all these years and it was the first I had a chance under this setup.

So about those columns and your plans for covering up the speakers. I'm really curious to find out how you are finishing those off since I face a similar issue with my column design.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 · (Edited)
So about those columns and your plans for covering up the speakers. I'm really curious to find out how you are finishing those off since I face a similar issue with my column design.
lol, thx for reminder

I am planning on building frames the full height/width of the openings you see in the pics. Frames will be wrapped in black AT speaker fabric.

So picture those entire openings blacked out by an AT fabric and you've got it :) I may use a couple (small) pieces of velcro to hold the frames back against the mdf 'seats' i placed vertically just inside the openings of the columns...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
Help me out with wall treatments please:

So I plan to use 2" tk OC 705 to build my room treatment panels.
Best place to buy this product for a decent price?
Best approach to fastening this to the drywall?

Per the email above, I plan to use GOM 'Tweed' AT fabric in Java color to cover above absorption material. Where do I source this product for the best price?

Because OC 705 is (potentially) a bit more than 2" tk (say up to 2 1/8"tk at corners), I plan to build my frames to 2 1/8" tk. The long edges of each frame will be a 'chamfered edge' (prob 3/8") so I was thinking of using MDF for the top layer of frames because it routes cleanly. Best way to build a 2 1/8" tk frame (ie materials to use and process?)

Finally, Best approach to attaching frames to wall?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Help me out with wall treatments please:

So I plan to use 2" tk OC 705 to build my room treatment panels.
Best place to buy this product for a decent price?
Best approach to fastening this to the drywall?

Per the email above, I plan to use GOM 'Tweed' AT fabric in Java color to cover above absorption material. Where do I source this product for the best price?

Because OC 705 is (potentially) a bit more than 2" tk (say up to 2 1/8"tk at corners), I plan to build my frames to 2 1/8" tk. The long edges of each frame will be a 'chamfered edge' (prob 3/8") so I was thinking of using MDF for the top layer of frames because it routes cleanly. Best way to build a 2 1/8" tk frame (ie materials to use and process?)

Finally, Best approach to attaching frames to wall?
I was planning the same thing for my acoustic panel, MDF and routing the edges. Then I found this stuff at Home Depot. It's 2-1/4" wide, already has rounded edges, and is primed. It worked out great. I used a little bracing on the longer sides to keep it square. The 705 tucked in perfectly with a little room to spare.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandria-Moulding-LWM473-19-32-in-x-2-1-4-in-Primed-Pine-Finger-Jointed-Casing-L473A-93192C/206012860?keyword=lwm473

Reactions: texpilot

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
In my travels around the country SPI typically has it in stock.
http://www.spi-co.com/#
TY - there is one near where I live. Going to call them up.

I was planning the same thing for my acoustic panel, MDF and routing the edges. Then I found this stuff at Home Depot. It's 2-1/4" wide, already has rounded edges, and is primed. It worked out great. I used a little bracing on the longer sides to keep it square. The 705 tucked in perfectly with a little room to spare.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Alexandria-Moulding-LWM473-19-32-in-x-2-1-4-in-Primed-Pine-Finger-Jointed-Casing-L473A-93192C/206012860?keyword=lwm473
Nice find! I really need to consider this!

This stuff would probably route pretty well too right?

·
Registered
545 Posts
841 - 860 of 1357 Posts