AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This is what I used for my Column Fabric, which is in front of my side & rear speakers. This is also what I used for the 'center' of my Masking Panels, so, it is in front of the L&R when I have my screen masked to 16:9.

I think it works well.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 · (Edited)
PAINT: 1 coat down, 1 coat to go!

I picked a color called Onyx by Benjamin Moore. It's the aura interior line in matte. Wanted something washable for kids hehe

EdIT:

Paint complete! Now to build some fabric panels :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #883 ·
Fabric Time:

Bought 5 yards Royalty Velvet from Joanne Fabrics for screen wall panels

Bought 24 yards GOM Tweed Java from Fabricmate for wall treatment panels

Bought 3 yards DMD Black from Aucoustimac for column panels over surround speakers

GOM, Tweed in Java color for room treatment panels (these will be placed above the chair rail to the underside of crown under the soffits)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #886 ·
Digler,

The theater is looking FANTASTIC so far! I'm digging the black theme and the molding work is also looking very well done.
Thanks Kevin! A black room was a bit of a grudge thing for my wife in particular.

However, I'm really pleased with the particular black that we picked as I think it has a little bit more character then some we looked at. I wasn't excited about black either but was willing to make the trade-off for superior pj viewing and considering the theater is not lit 95% of the time. Having said that, I'm so pleased with the outcome that I actually considered going with black fabric as opposed to the brownish fabric I ordered. In the end I decided to leave it be and we'll keep it as planned

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
Niiiiiiice. Good luck with the panels. I hated doing them the most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Thanks Death. Yeah you've been pretty forthcoming about frames being a PIA. Coming up on the holidays and with as busy as I still am at work I have decided to pay somebody to build the panels for me (Same Carpenter that trimmed the room). I'm not doing well keeping to my budget but at this point in the project I am willing to pay someone to help with the items I don't feel like/have time to do in order to get this thing done :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 · (Edited)
In anticipation of carpet install on Tuesday, today I opened up holes in the riser to house three registers for bass absorption.

This particular hole left approx 14" of unsupported riser deck due to poor planning on my part regarding string placement. To mitigate this problem, you can see I cut a 2x6 prop, sliced the insulation, and installed it under the deck down to the slab to support the deck as necessary.

Tomorrow I will order the registers.

EDIT: Time to order registers! @BIGmouthinDC - can you confirm all of my options are correct per below?

Options correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks Death. Yeah you've been pretty forthcoming about frames being a PIA. Coming up on the holidays and with as busy as I still am at work I have decided to pay somebody to build the panels for me (Same Carpenter that trimmed the room). I'm not doing well keeping to my budget but at this point in the project I am willing to pay someone to help with the items I don't feel like/have time to do in order to get this thing done :)
Lol yeah that has to get expensive but a professional will make it look better in the end (I'd hope).

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #891 ·
Order looks correct. I've never paid for 3 day service, always went with the make it next Friday Option.
Thx Jeff. I'll need to figure out the delivery options but thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
697 Posts
PAINT: 1 coat down, 1 coat to go!

I picked a color called Onyx by Benjamin Moore. It's the aura interior line in matte. Wanted something washable for kids hehe

EdIT:

Paint complete! Now to build some fabric panels :rolleyes:
Question: Why bother painting the walls above the chair rail if you are putting up fabric panels?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
Looks awesome with the paint on the walls! Nice work man.
Thanks Aaron, very please with it as well!

Question: Why bother painting the walls above the chair rail if you are putting up fabric panels?
Valid question Stang - The paint in the areas where the panels go may have cost me a couple hundred dollars. I did it because I am still not sure what the timeframe will be until I am able to finish the treatment panels and hang them. As a result (if it takes 2-3 months for instance), we'll have a room that looks nice in the meantime instead of unpainted drywall squares all over.

With seats coming this week its possible I may be 'live' by Sunday. It was worth the $ to me to make it look somewhat finished in the interim to hanging treatment panels...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thanks Aaron, very please with it as well!

Valid question Stang - The paint in the areas where the panels go may have cost me a couple hundred dollars. I did it because I am still not sure what the timeframe will be until I am able to finish the treatment panels and hang them. As a result (if it takes 2-3 months for instance), we'll have a room that looks nice in the meantime instead of unpainted drywall squares all over.

With seats coming this week its possible I may be 'live' by Sunday. It was worth the $ to me to make it look somewhat finished in the interim to hanging treatment panels...
Uh-oh... You know what they say about hanging the projector before the room is finished.;)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #897 ·
Your room looks fantastic! I would have also painted the walls in your scenario.

What are you planning to use for diffusion panels?
Thanks man! Carpet today!

Great question on diffusion. I'm not sure how this will be accomplished and will have to defer to @BIGmouthinDC ?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #898 ·
Uh-oh... You know what they say about hanging the projector before the room is finished.;)
LOL - I have heard it results in LONG DELAYS finishing the room lol. I'll have to take my chances at this point; can't resist the temptation hehe

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great question on diffusion. I'm not sure how this will be accomplished and will have to defer to @BIGmouthinDC ?
Ah that would be a great person to hear from! I liked the simplicity of Big's use of scrim and foil tape for diffusion in the White Oaks build. Sadly I have been at a loss as to where I can purchase the scrim from. Everywhere I go and ask for it I get a "deer in headlights" look.

881 - 900 of 1357 Posts