AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
@Viruscwu - Virus I need to get my LED lights up and running. Carpet is in and I am very excited for that finishing touch to the room :D

What is the most simple, straightforward way for me to make that happen in your experience? All of the thermo wire has been run from the rack outside the room to both steps and soffit. I just need a power source and the LED strips to make it happen.

I would rather not build anything at this point due to time constraints. Rather, can I buy a kit, hack it a bit and make it work with my thermo wires in short order?
You sure can. Kits will get you up and running. You can always build something later if you end up having trouble getting all the controllers to work together nicely.

PS - Great looking room!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #922 ·
Also @ddigler, everything is looking REALLY good. I'm sure the results are speaking for themselves every time you are down there though lately.
Thanks Sig! Things are coming along well ATM. Contractor help is increasing progress exponentially (and cost for that matter) but the $ are worth it for me right now in order to give this project a shot in the arm.

You sure can. Kits will get you up and running. You can always build something later if you end up having trouble getting all the controllers to work together nicely.

PS - Great looking room!
Thanks Virus! Is there a particular kit you would recommend ATM? Say if I just bought a kit for the step lights (green below) at this point.

·
Registered
444 Posts
How much has the contractor cost you so far? I haven't used one and wondering how much it really is. Dunno if I would put this much work into doing it again in my next house. Love the results, but cost vs speed vs lazyness here.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks Virus! Is there a particular kit you would recommend ATM? Say if I just bought a kit for the step lights (green below) at this point.
If you are wanting to have a warm white option than an RGBWW kit would be what you are looking for. I purchased the one linked here. It will be enough to do your area in green. If you also wanted to do the area in orange and purple you would need to purchase two more.

The main thing to look out for is color temperature consistency. I purchased extra strips until I got enough that matched each other. I had ones that leaned green, blue, red, purple (when white was selected). I got them all to match up with a more blue (cool) temp. In real world use it may not make much of a difference when place in separate locations. It would be more noticeable if connected together (ie orange and purple sections).

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #925 ·
If you are wanting to have a warm white option than an RGBWW kit would be what you are looking for. I purchased the one linked here. It will be enough to do your area in green. If you also wanted to do the area in orange and purple you would need to purchase two more.

The main thing to look out for is color temperature consistency. I purchased extra strips until I got enough that matched each other. I had ones that leaned green, blue, red, purple (when white was selected). I got them all to match up with a more blue (cool) temp. In real world use it may not make much of a difference when place in separate locations. It would be more noticeable if connected together (ie orange and purple sections).

I hope this helps!
Great thanks! I'm going to buy the kit you linked and just try to get the steps going at this time.

How do I connect between the therm wire and the strips? Are there connectors I should be looking at to make it quick/easy?

Based on the green step layout above, do you anticipate any brightness differences between the 4 steps I will be lighting up (based on distance in between strips and all that)?

·
Registered
261 Posts
How do I connect between the therm wire and the strips? Are there connectors I should be looking at to make it quick/easy?
You can take a look at these connectors but I think purchasing a roll of this extension wire might be better in the en...or maybe both. The connectors are such a small gauge that working with them is a little tricky.

Each end of the LED strip will have a place for the connectors to attach to. This will make it easy to do two of your steps. You will need to solder the extension wire or connector to starting point of the strip for the other two steps.

This will make more sense when you have the strip in front of you and you see what you are working with.

Based on the green step layout above, do you anticipate any brightness differences between the 4 steps I will be lighting up (based on distance in between strips and all that)?
Nada. I connected two strips to compare brightness. One was connected directly to the amplifier and the other had a 30' section of the thermal wire between it and the same amplifier. They looked identical in brightness. If there was a difference it wasn't perceivable.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
What I wouldn't give to be at this stage in my build..........
LOL - I posted many similar comments just like yours in months past in other threads. Keep your head up and keep moving forward; you'll get there :)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #931 ·
Very clean looking build and it should be a fantastic performer as well. I am looking forward to seeing more.
I appreciate the kind words THX!

I just clicked on your sig link. Your build (and more specifically equipment) BLEW UP MY MIND :D I am rotten busy at work and home right now and have not made much time to look into other threads which I regret.

What the heck are you building lol!? That thing looks AWESOME but is WAY over my head!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #932 ·
Really coming together nicely!

If that was in my house I'd have a hard time resisting the urge to just put in the seating and the panels would never get done ;)
hehe yep. I'm staying busy to a point that I don't even think about what is to come in the theater. I need some balance ATM :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #933 ·
You can take a look at these connectors but I think purchasing a roll of this extension wire might be better in the en...or maybe both. The connectors are such a small gauge that working with them is a little tricky.

Each end of the LED strip will have a place for the connectors to attach to. This will make it easy to do two of your steps. You will need to solder the extension wire or connector to starting point of the strip for the other two steps.

This will make more sense when you have the strip in front of you and you see what you are working with.
Thanks for the info! So for the time being (because i'm still a bit confused regarding how it will work), you want me to buy 1 of everything to start: 1 strip of lights (the kit), 1 connector (set of 5) and 1 extension chord.

Correct?

Nada. I connected two strips to compare brightness. One was connected directly to the amplifier and the other had a 30' section of the thermal wire between it and the same amplifier. They looked identical in brightness. If there was a difference it wasn't perceivable.
great to know thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the info! So for the time being (because i'm still a bit confused regarding how it will work), you want me to buy 1 of everything to start: 1 strip of lights (the kit), 1 connector (set of 5) and 1 extension chord.

Correct?
Correct! You will definitely be using the extension wire (flexibility for corners). You may or may not want the quick connectors.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #937 ·

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey Diggs quick question, how did you cut out the openings in your columns? I saw you said the lumber yard did your big column cuts, did they do those as well? Thx bud, and get some updates and pics for us already!! :)
Drill holes near the four corners of your hole you want to cut, then stick a the jigsaw blade in there and cut your opening.

921 - 940 of 1357 Posts