AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
C34E's are installed!

All things considered, the speakers are were pretty easy to work with. Popping out the long mounting arms in favor of short arms was a delicate process: need to be very gentle or the circular guide that holds the arms at the top can break.

Took a few hours but all is well and installed.
C34E's are installed!

You can tell if an arm is hitting an obstruction and therefore not able to open because when tightening it with screws it gets tight very quickly. Per @texpilot good advice, do NOT over-tighten. The plastic used is not very heavy duty and it won't take much to break it.
Edit: did some research. See no reason that the cloth must remain on the speaker grill and I’m concerned that painting it will negatively impact acoustically transparent properties. Removed the cloth and all is well!
Thanks, my ceiling isn't ready but I have four C34e speakers ready to go. I really appreciate the tips and am eager to hear your impressions!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
@texpilot - The C34Es have a very thin fabric that lines the underside of the speaker grilles. Probably a silly question but does this fabric remain intact or should it be removed? My gut tells me it is to remain but I didn’t know once it starts getting painted how that affects the acoustically transparent properties of the fabric? Also, the white fabric makes it difficult to get a consistent look to the grill if painting it a dark color.

I can work with it either way just trying to determine if the fabric should remain or be pulled ?

Thoughts?

Edit: did some research. See no reason that the cloth must remain on the speaker grill and I’m concerned that painting it will negatively impact acoustically transparent properties. Removed the cloth and all is well!

Sorry Diggs, just saw this. I installed mine 6+ months ago, didn’t paint them, and don’t even remember a cloth being on the grills. Sounds like you took them out to paint them, which I definitely would have done as well.

My guess is the cloth acts as a pad against the plastic to ensure the magnetically-attached grill does not rattle. I would put it back in after you’ve painted before reinstalling the grill.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
Sorry Diggs, just saw this. I installed mine 6+ months ago, didn’t paint them, and don’t even remember a cloth being on the grills. Sounds like you took them out to paint them, which I definitely would have done as well.

My guess is the cloth acts as a pad against the plastic to ensure the magnetically-attached grill does not rattle. I would put it back in after you’ve painted before reinstalling the grill.
I did some research on other forums that indicates the cloth is not necessary. I still have it and as you pointed out plan to put it back on only in the case that the grilles start rattling. We shall see!

first impressions of the C34E is that they sound very, very nice. They are Atmos effects speakers for my particular setup which makes them a bit more difficult to demo than my mains. At the same point, they do seem to blend well and sound very good!

I am currently crossing them at 100 hz. Its going to take more time before I can establish a definitive opinion on the matter but I cannot see any reason I am not going to be happy with these speakers.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,344 ·
The C34E's are a winner!

After watching several Atmos mastered movies I declare the JSL C34E in ceiling Atmos speakers a winner! Atmos truly adds a different dimension to my HT experience. Well worth the upgrade cost and sweat equity involved.

Thanks to all who recommended the upgrade, suggested speakers and advised on construction processes. Its appreciated!

Crowson Level 3 Motion System:
Four Shadow-8 Actuators with a D-501 Amplifier ORDERED!!

Delivery date is set for Wed 4/10/19; very excited! I am planning on installing the actuators under the front row seats only. As discussed before this will add a tactile sensation to this row in particular as these seats rest on carpet over concrete floor.

More to come!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So cool to see your theater moving again, and getting some SOLID updates. Your theater is still one of my favorites visually, and the inspiration for a few of my design choices. Hopefully someday my theater is done and then I will share it with the world, haha.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,346 ·
So cool to see your theater moving again, and getting some SOLID updates. Your theater is still one of my favorites visually, and the inspiration for a few of my design choices. Hopefully someday my theater is done and then I will share it with the world, haha.
Thanks Sig; its appreciated!

Do you have a build thread for your current theater? I'd like to take a look and see how things are going.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thanks Sig; its appreciated!

Do you have a build thread for your current theater? I'd like to take a look and see how things are going.
No build thread yet. Haven't fully decided if I'll commit to one. Plus... I'm going to start working on the theater after literally taking an entire year off. I don't need the kind of abuse that would cause in my thread :D. I'll probably have a theater thread someday, just might skip the "getting there", haha.

Here's some pics. 2 of them are current state. And the other shows kind of current state for the front, except it was before the door/wainscoting.

https://imgur.com/a/bbHWKJU

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,348 ·
No build thread yet. Haven't fully decided if I'll commit to one. Plus... I'm going to start working on the theater after literally taking an entire year off. I don't need the kind of abuse that would cause in my thread :D. I'll probably have a theater thread someday, just might skip the "getting there", haha.

Here's some pics. 2 of them are current state. And the other shows kind of current state for the front, except it was before the door/wainscoting.

https://imgur.com/a/bbHWKJU
Looks like you are doing it right Sig! Really like how you framed out the man door. That adds a seamless look to the room.

You will love it! Getting through the build, although fun, is a TON of work haha

Like the stage as well. Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,349 · (Edited)
Update on recent upgrades

Atmos:
Very nice - immersive experience in movies mastered in Dolby Atmos. A worthwhile upgrade and one I'm glad I invested in. When properly implemented it is a significant upgrade from 5.1 or 7.1 systems IMHO.

Crowson MA's Super fun technology here. The key is to balancing them correctly as they can overwhelm or feel poorly integrated with the subwoofers if not crossed over, timed and leveled correctly. But the closer I dial it in the more I love the motion actuators. Highly recommended to anyone desiring more TR in their HT.

I just bought a MiniDSP 2x4HD and am going to use that to fine tune, EQ both subs and Crowsons. At that point I plan to enter the interesting world of BEQ!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,350 ·
Update on recent upgrades:

BEQ:
This is a HUGE improvement over my previous setup. BEQ is just excellent. And its implemented w/o feeling like you are 'pushing it too far' or sounding boomy IMO. Just a nice, realistic feeling hitting of the bass in movies. An awesome project and well worth looking into for anyone who desires a more well
rounded EQ in their HT. If you are interested check it out here!

I need to mention @aron7awol - thank you so much for helping me out with integrating MiniDSP HD and for practical instruction on how to integrate subs, etc. My HT is really starting to sound amazing and you were the most recent to help me get there so thanks!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
What a great room! A lot of excellent ideas. I bookmarked several spots out of your thread as a reference for an upcoming media room.

What mini-split did you install? ...and do you still like it? I was interested to see you had the condenser inside the house in an unused space...looked like a nice idea and I'm trying to figure out how workable it could be for me!

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,352 ·
What a great room! A lot of excellent ideas. I bookmarked several spots out of your thread as a reference for an upcoming media room.

What mini-split did you install? ...and do you still like it? I was interested to see you had the condenser inside the house in an unused space...looked like a nice idea and I'm trying to figure out how workable it could be for me!

Thanks,
Ralph
Thanks Ralph! Apologize for the delayed response...

Yes I mounted the condenser unit inside my house. Looking back I probably would not have had to and yet it worked out very well: its in a different room in basement (unfinished 'storage area'). Its so quiet it cant be heard, keeps it out of the weather, heats/cools theater very quickly. I'm glad I kept in inside even though its for different reasons than I had originally considered doing so.

I'll check on the model. I forget what it is haha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Ralph! Apologize for the delayed response...

Yes I mounted the condenser unit inside my house. Looking back I probably would not have had to and yet it worked out very well: its in a different room in basement (unfinished 'storage area'). Its so quiet it cant be heard, keeps it out of the weather, heats/cools theater very quickly. I'm glad I kept in inside even though its for different reasons than I had originally considered doing so.

I'll check on the model. I forget what it is haha.
Thanks for the feedback. The concept of mounting it within the house sounds useful for some circumstances. In my own, my home theater will be dead center of the house on the 2nd floor. The condenser would need to be about 50-60 ft from the inside unit at the location(s) where it would be typically mounted. And that would require using HVAC pros vice a friend who has mounted several of them over the years within the standard 16-20 ft range (from inside unit to condenser) for family and friends. For me to make it within 20 ft I would need to put the condenser in a nearby large storage room, which unfortunately is also on the 2nd floor...and that leads to questions about potential leaking, etc.

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,354 ·
Hello and good day! I hope everyone is staying healthy during these difficult times. It’s been awhile but I’m Still tweaking things. Theater has proven to be one of the best investments I’ve made in our home. Especially over winter good family time.

Recent items:

Painted my inuke Subwoofer amp black; long-overdue looks so much better than the stock silver color when combined in rack with other components all of which are black.

Considering a star ceiling. Not sure how I would orchestrate this around 4 in-ceiling Atmos speakers but somehow I think it can be done. The ceiling in my theater is still pretty plain looking when compared to the rest of it. Either going to do a star ceiling or going to use moldings to create a nice pattern look.

Top priority right now is reevaluating my two theater doors. I used prehung exterior steel doors. Although they do an adequate job they are easily the weak point for keeping sound out of my theater when compared to the walls and ceilings.
@BIGmouthinDC or anyone who may know - I’m not interested in an overhaul that would include adding communicating doors. Do I have any options at this point? How about making solid wood doors and using in place of the steel doors (utilizing the in place frames and hinges). Is this possible? Would results be worth the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,434 Posts
@BIGmouthinDC or anyone who may know - I’m not interested in an overhaul that would include adding communicating doors. Do I have any options at this point? How about making solid wood doors and using in place of the steel doors (utilizing the in place frames and hinges). Is this possible? Would results be worth the cost?
Starting from where you are you could evaluate the opportunity to beef up the existing door by adding layers of damped mass to either or both sides and evaluating the door seals. You might be able to add a couple layers of 1/2 inch MDF with Green Glue. Maybe add some MLV to the doors, If the doors have a design you will need to fill in the low areas with some kind of a filler. On top of that you can attach some insulation and fabric. Compare the high end acoustic door seals to what is on your door. Post a picture of both sides of the door and the jamb.

If you want to start over the best doors are solid but not a single piece wood slab door. The doors built with soundproofing in mind will use interior dampening material. Some guys here have built doors with layers of GG and MDF and reported success.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,356 ·
Starting from where you are you could evaluate the opportunity to beef up the existing door by adding layers of damped mass to either or both sides and evaluating the door seals. You might be able to add a couple layers of 1/2 inch MDF with Green Glue. Maybe add some MLV to the doors, If the doors have a design you will need to fill in the low areas with some kind of a filler. On top of that you can attach some insulation and fabric. Compare the high end acoustic door seals to what is on your door. Post a picture of both sides of the door and the jamb.

If you want to start over the best doors are solid but not a single piece wood slab door. The doors built with soundproofing in mind will use interior dampening material. Some guys here have built doors with layers of GG and MDF and reported success.

This is a great suggestion BIG TY. I’d be very interested in using the doors that are already there and beefing them up. I’m having trouble envisioning what the process would look like. Are there any threads that document the process for beefing up a door with MDF and GG?

Also what is MLV?

That is interesting about the solid acoustical doors. Is there a website I could look at to purchase these doors?

Focusing more on your first suggestion, see below a picture of my one theater door. The other door is identical. We are away for a few days but when I return home I will get a good picture of both sides of the door and the jam as you have requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1341 - 1357 of 1357 Posts